Colossians 3:1-2

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Friends

“Dear” is the way I learned to address a letter that I was writing. It has lost its meaning as “Hey, how ya’ doin’?” doesn’t really ask how someone is. I want you to know that, as I’ve gotten to know many of you, I do mean that you are dear. Who am I to ever compare myself to Paul, but I feel how he did as he communicated his love and care for his brothers and sisters. I think that is why we have naturally gravitated to our prayer thread, which by the way, can be accessed using this link: https://connect.rzim.org/g/Interested_in_Prayer I hope I got that right. If not, go to @Interested_in_Prayer and Carson can correct me.

Breaks over and it’s time to hit chapter 3 of Colossians! It’s a fantastic chapter. Colossians has been such a precious book.

I will ask a question of the verses that we have to memorize this week and that is: What are practical things that you do to set your minds on things above? Your input could be helpful in assisting one of us. Here are the verses:

Colossians 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. (ESV)

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Colossians 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. (KJV)

Realize dear saints, we are not really of this world any longer. We live down here, but we have the mind of Christ who is at the right hand of the Father. Let’s not waste our thought lives.

1 Like

This requires a conscious effort and continual discipline because its in your “seeking the things above” that you grow within the strength to “Stay/Set” your minds on things above. Personally, it would mean spending my time in much more profitable and fulfilling manner. Meditating on His word for the day and praying in my heart as I go about my chores. If I were to listen to music, I would rather listen to something that would either uplift my spirit or minister to me_ something that magnifies Christ. Same goes for books, I would prefer to read Christian literatures, blogs etc, study the bible and “chew” on the word at my free time. If I were to engage in discussions, I wouldn’t want to be caught engaging in frivolous discussions especially if it adds no value spiritually or intellectually.

Generally, It would be the things I feed my eyes, ears and heart on a daily basis. But I cannot do any of this successfully if I am not conscious of his Love for me and if I do not have the faith and trust that He alone works in me to will and to act. This I do also conscious of His grace over my life to keep my heart stayed on Him.

2 Likes

@chicaananaba
Chika, this is what I was asking for. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. It is so helpful to hear from the Body of Christ. As you said, meditating on the Word is so good. That’s one reason why memorization is so important to me.

Your thoughts were so helpful. Thank you!

2 Likes

Dear Brother Tim and Friends,

These verses and your question are so on point with me today. With school starting last week - I am overwhelmed with many tasks. All important and I found that all of my thoughts were beginning with -I am afraid . . . . .not accomplishing the tasks at hand whether it’s a household, or homeschool, work, or helping with church. I am afraid of being completely drained. - - - (If I set my affections on things above not on things of the earth. - Colossians 3:2). . . If I live in the truth of scripture, I do not wallow in fear, and self pity.

“Trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not unto my own understanding. In all my ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct my paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

Jesus puts His word in our path just as we need it.

Darlene

4 Likes

In a bid to control all the things around me at all times for fear of anything ever wrong, trying to maintain a perfect balance at work, home, school, kids, relationships etc, I find myself under a lot of pressure and the more I try, the more things seem to get out of my grip. In recent times, I have learnt to trust the Lord more and rely entirely on the guidance and leading of the Holy sprit for everything and I must testify, He has given me a peace and rest I never imagined.

2 Likes

Ahh, thank you for that. I do know when I bring this verse to mind - it helps tremendously.

Darlene

1 Like