Colossians 3:13-14

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Precious Friends

I love you. I love ice cream. I love being outdoors. I love time alone. I love, I love, I love! There are more than 50 root words for the Eskimo names for snow. I think we should have 500 words for how we use the word love in English.

Today’s verses culminate in the attributes that, as Christians, we are to put on. There are some heavy duty words in that group, such as forgiveness, which, if you did not see what Carson posted last week on an example of a man forgiving the policewoman who killed his brother, it is powerful and do view it. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/embed/qeESVLQK4hw

Yet, as we cloth our selves as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, with compassion, kindness, lowliness meekness and patience, etc, to top them all, in these verses we are put on love which binds them all together perfectly. Love is so needed and that is why I am blown away by the pure love shown to one another in this group.

Years ago I read a book that spoke of the fact that Jesus wants us to learn agape love in this lifetime as it prepares us for heaven where that is the only kind of love there will be. Now it is exhibited as a selfless love where we look out for one another for the glory of His Kingdom.

I know memorizing week after week is a lot of work but eventually, you’ll have it so down well that you’ll have to be careful because you can recite it without even thinking of what you are saying. But what is so wonderful, is that the Word of God becomes as much of our fiber as our organs and bones. It becomes who we are more significantly than how we look. Jesus was not much to look at apparently. Yet, as the song says, “He is beautiful beyond description, too marvelous for words, too wonderful for comprehension, like nothing ever seen or heard.” Praise God!

Here is what He looks like:

Colossians 3:13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
Colossians 3:14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. (ESV)

Colossians 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
Colossians 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. (KJV)

And by the way, I do truly love you - SO much more than ice cream!

3 Likes

I think verse 13 is very apt for today’s society, especially when people take offence very easy and don’t think that they should forgive.

2 Likes

Not to diminish the point you made, David, but all of these verses really apply to us. It’s letting them sink in that matters. At times, just one of those points hit me between the eyes.

As you said David, forgiveness can be particularly hard!

1 Like