Colossians 3:15-16

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Way to go group. You are doing the “impossible” and that is edging towards memorizing a whole book! Technically, we will not be doing but six verses of chapter 4 when we get there, because the remaining verses of the chapters are salutations and greetings.

Regarding these verses, I feel that both verses have a key word in them. It’s not scholarly verbiage but is so telling. The word that I am referring to is the beginning of both verses where the word “let” is used. Let? What’s the big deal? “Let” connotes just that - to let the peace of God rule your hearts and let the word of God dwell in you richly. You don’t have to take hold of peace and God’s word and yank them in with all of your might. No, you are to let it happen.These are God’s chosen ones that have put on the garments of the attributes of Jesus. After wearing this attire as God’s chosen and beloved, we are to let Him in to further transform us. What a mighty God we serve.

So when you are in turmoil or struggling with direction, let, yes just let God come in with His peace and wisdom. He wants to come in. Let Him.

Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (KJV)

Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (ESV)

May these precious verses rule in your hearts this week.

5 Likes

How much do we love the Word?!?! As I was reading this message from @Tim_Ramey I was reminded of a song that always ministers so beautifully to my heart. Prayerfully y’all enjoy it too @Bible_Memorization_Group It’s “Let It Happen” by United Pursuit

3 Likes

That’s a thought-provoking idea, @Tim_Ramey. I’m jumping in in the middle of a conversation here, so sorry if I’m not on the right wave length. But how are we to “let” God do these great things in us? Just not resist? I’m wondering what that looks like…if it’s the idea of being consecrated…? If this group has already been through this, kindly point me to that place in the discussion. Thanks!

2 Likes

@Leah
Leah, you are not jumping in the middle of a discussion as it was the first post on the thread. Your question is a great one. Maybe you can tell me the answer!

I’ll take a stab at it…

Yes, I think I agree that in our selfish way of doing things, we resist. Every time I run into you Leah, I lose my peace. I get irritated by just seeing you and I try so hard to overcome it. In fact, I’m irritated because you are obnoxious or you hurt me before. So without fail, I know that it is wrong to resent you and to have hard feelings about you, but no matter what I do, the sight of you means that I go through a slow burn. My mantra is - “I just have to try harder.”

Re-roll the footage. I see you and feel my teeth begin to clench. However, I stop it right there and say, “Lord, you need to take this from me” and I passively let my mind go right to, “I can’t stand her.” Then I say, “Lord, why didn’t you take it away.” Down that road I will eventually justify my actions or blame God.

Rather, what I see is that I need to do is to bring the situation to Jesus in my prayer time or some time that you aren’t around. I see that it is wrong even if you, Leah, are 99% wrong. I still need to repent for my part of it. I tell Jesus that I don’t want this to continue. Jesus replies, “Neither do I.”

From there Leah, there is no template but repentance is essential.

I need to be attentive to the Holy Spirit. He may have me to repent to Him and that’s it. Or after I repent, He may tell me that I need to go to you and ask for forgiveness. (As was the case two times in my life where I argued with the Lord that the other person was the majority of the problem and they truly were. In both cases, the other didn’t repent but I did not tell them they needed to, I let it go. In both cases, I have a strong relationship with them to this day.) He may show me the ugliness of my sin without condemning me. He may show me freedom through His word. He may, He may, He may… I don’t know, it’s letting the Holy Spirit do the work. We let the peace of Christ rule, not our frustrated attempts. He wants to but often we want it just to go away.

That’s my long take on it. It’d be good to hear if anyone else has thoughts about it. Leah, it was an excellent question and now that I dealt with it, I hold no resentment for you anymore - I’m free!!! (Just kidding everyone!)

4 Likes

Haha! You had my eyes wide there for a second. Your example brings a couple scriptures to mind.

2 Corinthians 10:5 “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.”

Isaiah 26:3 “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusted in thee .”

Your scenario really got me thinking about Matthew 18 principles of dealing with conflict, too.

Letting the word of God dwell in us richly might be a solution to giving God access and control in our lives. As @Catherine asked, how much do we love the Word? The more we’re in the Word the more our mind is renewed; the more our mind is renewed the more Christ-like we think and thereby act. God is still doing all the heavy lifting. We’re just going along with His plan…just letting…

5 Likes

@Leah

Well said Leah! Now join the memorization group!

Seriously, memorizing did change me. You know how a verse can hit you in a special way but not me? Well that what really struck me that mention about letting God do it. He wants to, we have to let Him.

Memorization is having a storehouse of the treasure right in our lives.

1 Like