Colossians 3:21-22

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Precious Believers,

I want to thank Kelly for keeping everything marching onward while I was in Israel. It would have been next to impossible to have posted the thread to you and the one relating to this post in the prayer thread from Israel. Thanks, Sister!

It would be equally not possible nor appropriate to speak of my two weeks in Jordan and Israel other than to say that all believers should go there if they ever have the opportunity. My mind is bogged down with such pertinent information but my Bible reading will never be he same.

You realize, don’t you, that you’ve nearly mastered another chapter? There will be only two more weeks after this and you’ll have Colossians 3 down. I memorized this one a few years back so I am memorizing John 15 along with you so that I’ll complete that when you conclude this third chapter of Colossians. The Israel trip threw havoc into my memorization but I’ll regroup and conclude when you do. It underscored for me, the need of a realistic routine that works for you to get the job done.

Here are the two verses for this week. The first one, as a father of 7 grown children, has been often very convicting for me and even though they are out of the house, they are still my children and I will be held accountable for any ways that I would provoke them. Also, does verse 22 apply to us? The chapter that I am memorizing says that Jesus no longer calls us servants but friends. However, though that is true, we call Him Lord, Master, Father and other such names that speak of His rule in our lives.

Colossians 3:21 Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.
Colossians 3:22 Bondservants, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. (ESV)

Colossians 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Colossians 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God; (KJV)

Fellow saints, we don’t ever realize when the Holy Spirit will speak to our hearts via these verses.

8 Likes

Yes, thank you @kelelek. Tim, it must have been amazing to be in Israel. Israel is on my bucket list!!! May I ask you to scold me for being lazy in my Bible memorization? It worked last time :wink: I just heard you in my head so I will get on with it! Welcome home :heart:

3 Likes

OK Sig, you asked for it…

(I had to delete what I initially wrote - it was too harsh!)

I was rockin’ and sockin’ you on you Sig, after you enticed me to scold you. However, I felt another approach might be better.

Sig, I see you a million times per day, welcoming all with your gracious, friendly, caring heart. I think memorization is so important because it has revolutionized my walk with Jesus. But that is meant for me. For you Sig, you need to be guided by the Holy Spirit as to where He wants you to put your time.

I’m going to prayer with anyone else in the group at 2:30. I will pray for this issue for you. Scoldings by me won’t last but what does is to crawl into the loving arms of your Savior and seek what He wants for you.

You are a dear sister, Sig!

4 Likes

@Tim_Ramey Colossians 3:22 in NIV: 22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.

This is one of the huge stumbling blocks when speaking to people of colour, all over the world. It is the scripture that was used to justify the horrible sin of slavery that was propagated by Europeans from the 1400s to the 1800s. The European form of slavery was so cruel and so thorough that had never been seen before, complete genocide of peoples, tearing apart of families, consistent rapes of females.

Now this was clearly after the books of the BIBLE had been written so the writers of the BIBLE would have had no idea how slavery would have evolved.

With this background, this verse is thrown in my face when I go out there to minister to people of colour.

The struggle is real, and with the fact the effects of slavery lasts till today, this scripture being thrown up as an argument against the BIBLE will continue.

I tell you though, I am not going to let that stop me from ministering, it gives me more opportunity to lean on CHRIST.

4 Likes

@JasonWalker I don’t think that the verse should be a stumbling block in ministry to anyone. There is much that could be said about it but I have two points that I’d offer.

First, it reminds me of when Billy Graham was invited to speak in the Communist countries. The KGB were there, ready to nab him when he would urge them to revolt. But he didn’t. Rather, he didn’t get political but spoke of Jesus. Even as they suffered, Jesus was to be their focus. Paul, as usual, was not worried about making enemies as he did all of the time, but he didn’t wish to talk to the slaves, telling them when they are freed that they would be happy.

Which leads me to the second point and that is, in whatever state we face, we are to love our enemies. Granted, I don’t have a clue what a slave went through but as with the persecuted church, our focus is to be that our freedom comes from Jesus. Everything that we do, we are to do heartily as to the Lord and not men. So admonishing slaves to work with integrity was not to be a man pleaser but a God pleaser.

Idealistic talk? Easier said than done? Certainly. But in life, whatever state we face, we are to keep our eyes on Jesus. I’m sure there were free slaves that were in bondage and there were those who were enslaved but were free. Slavery is and was horrific yet Jesus is bigger than our largest, ugly sin.

1 Like

Very sweet :heart:

1 Like

Bless your heart. I know you were addressing Tim but I did want to share a thread here on connect that really helped me understand slavery in the Bible a little better. I can see why that would be a stumbling for people of colour. I have had those same conversations and felt completely helpless and unqualified to address it. If you don’t mind me sharing and you find the time to read through, maybe you can glean from the conversation also. Does the Bible excuse American slavery?
In particular @WarnerMiller response. There are other conversations, if you type in the word slavery, that you can glean from. God bless you, I will be lifting you up in prayer :pray:t3:

3 Likes

Thank you Sig. Although I only had Tim in my post, the post is in public for public, otherwise I would have just messaged him. I will look into your link and @WarnerMiller’s response.

2 Likes

I am reading through the thread and I am seeing that I was already involved in this thread lol! @sig

1 Like

@sig Thank you. I just read the thread. I love Miller’s response, it echoes many of the things that I brought up in this thread. That being said for those who read the thread, recognize that all the above is important and remember that the fact that his last name is Miller and my last name is Walker speaks to the effects of slavery that last till today and all the implications (Jim Crow, Segregation, White Supremacy, terrorism, mass incarceration, red lining, police brutality, unequal treatment by the justice system etc) and that the slavery in the BIBLE is not the same as the slavery that Europeans executed from the 1400s. Knowledge is important though, and I find myself telling people these things that should have been part of US educational systems throughout any American’ scholastic careers, so that this lessens the use of it being a stumbling block. Getting new believers to the place of the truth of Christ being the most important reason for believing.

3 Likes

I totally missed that lol

1 Like

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Saints

Life will drednge up stuff that we never planned on virtually everyday. Think how often you plan to attack something today and the day ends without ever touching it. That is why memorization has to be intentional. It is so worth it.

In prayer the other day, I was seeking Jesus about an issue when suddenly, verses that I had memorized popped in my head. That is one of the main reasons for the importance of memorization. We have Bibles handy all of the time. Who needs to memorize if you can just look it up? But when it is hidden in your heart, it pops up and shows us something from our hearts that we would never conjure up ourselves… We wouldn’t have known to look it up but it rises from our hearts.

My reasoning for saying this is not to spray you down with guilt. Rather, it is to encourage you to discipline yourselves to memorize verses you don’t know when the Holy Spirit will use them in our lives.

5 Likes

Amen!

That being said, are we ready to pray this morning at 7am EST!? Call: 6053136187
Access Code: 252039 @Tim_Ramey @sig @kelelek @Catherine @darlene @Carol @Lakshmismehta @eminikel @Billie

Hello @Tim_Ramey!
Thank you for this encouragement today in the importance of memorization! I better get on those verses…!! :rofl:
Praying for you all today and lifting up those listed needs and praises to the Lord. God bless you all and have a great day! :hibiscus:

2 Likes

@Tim_Ramey @Bible_Memorization_Group

Tim, your post is so encouraging. I was reading one of my devotions and Luke 24 was discussed. This is the story of the two disciples who encounter Jesus after the resurrection. Jesus, beginning with Moses and the Prophets, He explained all things concerning Himself through the Scripture. Then He disappeared. Two things were pointed out: 1) if we truly want to know Jesus, we learn about Him through the Scripture!! The disciples strongly urged Him to continue on with them. All the fullness of God was pleased to dwell in Him. He is the image of the invisible God. 2) when He disappeared the next words out of the disciples mouth was, Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?"

Now I don’t know about anyone else, but if someone disappeared in front of me I would be saying something like, “Did you see that? Where did He go?” How many times have I come out of my time of devotions saying, “Where are You?” verses, “my heart is burning because of the Word?” When I have focused on the longed for “miracle” rather than on the Word which IS the miracle. Focusing on situations/circumstances rather than focusing on the Word. They urged Him to continue on. . . I think they had just completed a seven mile walk with Him, but they wanted more. (Can’t you just feel their hunger. No, don’t stop now. Tell us MORE!)

The word that we are learning IS Jesus. We are drawing near to Him through memorization! I am behind, but excited even as I learn one more verse. I hope to catch up during the month off, but even if I don’t I will continue to memorize. Jesus used the Scriptures to share of Himself. The more scripture we have, the more we have to share with others.

Hope you might have found this thought provoking as I certainly did. I pray everyone has a very Blessed day and may the Words that we have learned transform us and those around us. :slight_smile: