Colossians 3:23-24

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Intimate friends because of Jesus,

If you did not read all of last weeks posts, do so as there are some wonderful insights. I think of a very special one from Kelly especially.

You have almost completed the 3rd chapter of Colossians. Next week you have one verse. After that, we will move on to Colossians 4 but it was agreed that we’d do only the first 6 verses of it as the rest is greetings and salutations. If anyone wants to finish the chapter anyway, go for it as this group will take a break, which I need to look back and remember when we agreed to start up again. If anyone remembers, could you let us know?

The objective for the longer break was to have time to review and catch up to what has been memorized thus far. I have a thought about this and I hope that it is agreeable with you all.

What I’d like to do is to still post every week but instead of posting two verses, I would just announce a chapter. The reason being is that I think we all have good intentions but I sense that it is highly likely that the break will zip by and we have not done much reviewing and even possibly lost ground. You can review any way that you personally want to but I thought I’d post, the Saturday after we posted our last 2 verses, Colossians 3. Then, if you have no plan for review, make sure that by the end of the week, that one is grounded.

The following week I’d announce Colossians 2 and we’d have the week to get that one down but make sure we aren’t losing the others. I’d work my way backwards and then come upon Philippians and go 4 back to 2. For some of us, we go back even further but at least we’d make sure that we’d have the chapters in Philippians and Colossians down. Dos that sound like a plan?

Also, we should begin suggesting what chapter we would like to move on to. I would like to underscore that I am NOT the boss but only a facilitator. I would suggest we learn something other than the Pauline epistles as Ephesians and Galatians are great but it’d be nice to hear from Peter or John or one of the Gospel writers or even an Old Testament writer. This is a tough one to decide but we should voice our druthers.

Enough said. Here are the verses of the week. Verse 23 can be one that we put in our hip pocket for moment by moment direction used daily:

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
Colossians 3:24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. (ESV)

Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. (KJV)

Wow - what a reward awaits us. I don’t know about you but I did nothing to deserve a reward!

1 Like

Amen to verse 24, I have question does anyone have any thoughts or opinions in doing either a ‘book’ or ‘chapter’. I’ve enjoyed doing Colossians but am aware this would be unfeasible to do a whole Gospel.

I like the idea of either studying Peter’s letters or one of John’s epistles, if we go to the Old Testament depending on which book and chapter we choose I think this could produce some good ethical questions amongst us.

1 Like

I love the book of James :heart:. Just a suggestion for memorizing in the future.

1 Like

@David_Cieszynski Oh, I agree. Wouldn’t an OT book just kind of stir up all kinds of things!? But, with so many to choose from, which one would you recommend?

1 Like

I like 1&2 Timothy, 1 John, Jonah would be a good Old Testament book to memorise and discuss as there are a number of threads ‘at play’ throughout.

Hosea would be a good book to discus generally.

2 Likes

Hey, I like hearing these opinions of books to memorize.

Since I had memorized Colossians 3 earlier, I am doing John 15. So this is selfish, but I’d prefer not to do that one as well as others that I have memorized that are a few Psalms, all of I John, Hebrews 12, Ephesians 1 & 2, Romans 6, 8 and 12, as well as Colossians and Philippians that we just did. If one of these are chosen, I’ll just do as I am doing now and memorize a different chapter. However, I prefer doing it together with you.

I’d be game for, along with Robin, James or a few different chapters in Isaiah, another gospel chapter, or I or 2 Peter or another chapter in Hebrews.