Colossians 3:3-4

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Saints

What profound words are posted here! I can’t believe the depth of God’s love for us. In prayer this morning, I prayed that I would learn how to love Him more. Then I thought, “Is that really how love for Jesus works? We learn to love Him?” My mind went to one of the first chapters that I ever learned back in the mid 80’s and that was 1:1Jn 2:4-5 “He who says “I know him” but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps his word, in him truly love for God is perfected.”

The way our love is perfected is when we obey Him. It is different from love for each other for, though there is the same element in getting to know each other, there is the additional aspect that involves obedience.

After I had been up, my Bible in another room was opened to John 15 and it said in verse 10, “If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.” There it was again!

I’m sorry, I don’t want to give the appearance of being a teacher but I wanted to share my thoughts on how do we love the Lord? I think that is part of setting our minds on things above because as we do, He’ll share His heart by His Holy Spirit and if we spurn His council, our loves for Him will not grow. I want so much to grow in my love for the One who has done all this for you and me.

The verse this week also reminds me of the first verse I ever learned as a Christian: Gal 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Now you know my life story! But remember, I don’t live anymore but it is Jesus who now lives in me.

Colossians 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Colossians 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. (KJV)

Colossians 3:3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
Colossians 3: 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (ESV)

What profound truths we are memorizing. And just think, you are not memorizing in vain because if the Lord uses verses that I had learned getting on 50 years ago, just think how He’ll bring to remembrance His Word when you need it.

1 Like

Question if , our life is hid with Christ in God, how can Satan be able to tempt us?

1 Like

Good question David. Anyone wish to share their thoughts?

Hi David,
This is a thoughtful question. The reference to life in these verses pertains to our life in Christ that is secure, spiritual, and committed for all eternity. But as long as we are here, in this corrupted world, we are subject to the attacks of Satan who seeks destruction of mankind (1 Peter 5:8). I am reminded in Ephesians 6:12-18 that our battle is against supernatural powers of darkness, so we must put on our spiritual armor each day to stay alert. Jesus gives a vivid warning of trouble (even yet to come) in Matthew 24 where temptation for some progresses to full rebellion. But then I consider all that Jesus endured in His life on earth, even enduring temptation Himself. I know He understands our struggles (Matthew 4, Hebrews 4:15). As long as we are in this present life we have battle on our hands. I would say daily battle. But keeping our eyes fixed on the Lord and remembering He has already won gives us hope, perseverance and builds our faith drawing us nearer to Him in the process. He does not waste our suffering. I hope this helps (and makes sense).

2 Likes

Thanks April,

You do make sense, I made a comment when preaching that just because we’re followers of Christ it doesn’t mean our lives will be ‘plain sailing’. I got the impression that this didn’t go down to well with some people, as it may put non-followers off.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that too, but since everyone is guaranteed difficulties in this life, I’d sure rather have it with Jesus than without! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Amen! I don’t know what I’d do without Jesus in my life. I tell people that I have a hard enough time with Him in my life, I can’t see how I’d do it without Him!