Colossians 3 & 4

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Happy first day of winter!

Could I ask you to take the time to read this? I will try to make it short.

We will not be memorizing any new scripture until Saturday, January 25, 2020. What that chapter will be remains to be finalized. In some ways, see this as a break, but in other ways, don’t waste the opportunity , for those of you who memorized these chapters, to keep them memorized. Once you have it down, it stays with you though it does need continual review.

For those not memorizing but following along, please read and respond with questions and input. The Word of God is his love letter to us. Let’s talk about it.

The chapters to review for the week are posted above. On December 28th, well review Colossians 2 & 1; on January 4th it’ll be Philippians 2 & 3; on January 11th Philippians 4 & Romans 8; and on January 18th, we will brush on the weak one and discuss anything from the above chapters. We are reviewing them in the opposite progression that we memorized them. So we are going from the most recent to the one that we first started with.

In the meantime we will be discussing the next chapter to memorize so that on January 25th we will venture into new territory! Scripture memory has added a dimension in my walk with Jesus that I never knew of before and it has truly revolutionized it. All of this began in a way that I hadn’t planned.

This post is getting long but I want to pose two questions that I have for this week’s chapters. The first one is in Colossians 4:2 where it says, “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving;” What are we watching for?

The second questions deals with Colossians 3:1-2, “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” It sounds good but how do you go about your day, living on this earth, while thinking about things above? Do you walk around with your head in the clouds?

I’m the facilitator for this group but I’m not asking these questions because I’m trying to test you. I desire your feedback to learn from you. I’d do love it to hear from many of you; some of whom are signed up under this area but I never heard from.

May Jesus use these verses to get you thinking in a way that you wouldn’t have otherwise.

1 Like

Hello Tim Ramey, and thank you for sharing and steadfastly keeping this group going! I have been quiet, just reading and following along here and there, but I really appreciate this. Concerning Colossians 4:2, it means to watch for His answers, even watch what and how we’re praying. At least that is how it appears to me. What do you think? As far as Colossians 3:1-2, actually yes, sometimes I do have have my head in the clouds (really looking at the sky and pondering heaven), but mostly it reminds me not to get caught up in worries or even focusing on weaknesses or present problems too much, but instead look for opportunities in the midst of it to ask for His help to rise above and bring Him glory, and to witness to those around us. A yearning for heaven come’s to mind, and then a desire to want to share with others, and of course constantly prayerfully trying to let our conduct speak louder than words. What about you? How do you “seek the things that are above” from day to day?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

~ Suzanne R.

1 Like

@ZanneR
Suzanne, I don’t know how I missed your reply. I am so glad to get a response because I need others perspectives. Thanks!

I agree with your response to being watchful in prayer. I wonder if it would mean as well, as to updating the prayer or if, in regard to how things transpire, would the Lord have us “correct” the prayer? I think that we can offer up a prayer and then just forget about it. i feel that it advises a degree of sustainability.

Your answer regarding Colossians 3:1-2 was very helpful. Thank you. Here again, I would add that it means to keep a perspective. As we go through life, troubles are bound to come our way. But keep an eternal mindset to it. How is the Lord using this to teach me, redeem or to use to encourage a believer or someone who doesn’t know Him? What does Jesus want not what do I want.

Suzanne, thanks for replying and I was hoping others would as well.

This is off the subject but I wonder if I wasn’t in a Core Module or another class with you because your name sounds awfully familiar.

Hi Tim,

My initial thought to your question what are we watching for, is to see when God answers our prayers and thank and praise him for answering our prayers.

1 Like