Colossians 3:7-8

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear All

Prayer interest is there but memory interest seems to be sliding. I’ve talked it over with some that are still doing it and I think we’ve made a few conclusions.

First off, much of Colossians 4 consists of greetings. Thus, we thought it might be best to end at 4:6. In other words, we thought that we should conclude Colossians with Col 4:6 meaning that the last 12 verses which are 6 weeks worth, we would not memorize.

Secondly, we thought that we’d take a month break or for many, a time to review all of the chapters to date. What I would propose and there is a lot of time to think about this, would be to continue to do the 2 verses/week pace. However, chapter 3 would conclude with one verse. If we do as normal, we would then begin the 6 verses of chapter 4 over three weeks. Doing 2 verses/week, except verse 25 of Colossians 3 would be just one verse that week, we would post Colossians 4:5-6 on December 14th. We then would not have an actual verse post to memorize until sometime in mid-January. The actual date we would post as we got closer to the time.

Besides being able to breathe and review, it was suggested that we could discuss what we learned from the book of Colossians and even make some commentaries on verses we’d like to speak on. It would be nice if there was more of that at present, as we go through the verses and something jumps out at you.

All of this is a long way off and maybe things will change in some way or another, but I thought that it might be encouraging to see light at the end of the tunnel. For those who have plodded on, I’m so proud of you. I sound like your grandfather or maybe the age Paul would have been by now!

As an incentive to consider memorizing, those of us that have memorized are so often taken by surprise how they come up so frequently. I am not good at quoting a verse verbatim that is in the middle of the chapter but have to think of a familiar lead in to come to that verse. But I find the chapters I learned are used daily and often frequently. That is what I am conscious of much less the verses that have changed my heart and way of thinking.

Long post - on with the verses:

Colossians 3:7 In these you too once walked, when you were living in them.
Colossians 3:8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. (ESV)

Colossians 3:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.(KJV)

Many times we ask the Lord to take away, say our anger. He tells us again that we are to do it. He will give us what we need to get it done.

4 Likes

The plan sounds good, although when I taper off on the work of memorizing I find it always goes downhill from there. I wish I looked at memorizing as exciting instead of doing it because I know I should. And yet, when I quote random verses from Scripture, they are not as much a part of my thinking as what I memorize as a passage. I don’t know why. And to tell you the truth, for the past several weeks I have been reeling from “If you have been raised with Christ”. That hit me more than I had assumed the glory verses from chapter 1 did, since I realize that most of what I understand from Scripture is confined to my head and not transferred to my way of life. I am not living ‘raised with Christ’, I’m living ‘sucked into the sewer of the world’. I’m not sure I would have understood that if I hadn’t needed to repeat it over and over again.

2 Likes

Carol, during the “break”, I’d love to learn a portion of Scripture with you. I asked others about a break and they thought it was a good idea, which like you, I think it is a good idea also but I am like you as well, where I keep up better if I keep going. Are there roughly 10 verses that you’d like to learn during that time? Some might be 2 Peter 1 or maybe a Psalm. Some place where we can learn about 10 verses that are a portion of a chapter.

All of us have the truth in our head but not always in our heart. That is where memorization has been powerful for me because things hit me between the eyes and they change my heart. The Holy Spirit really uses memorization for me.

Carol, you are so transparent and real. I do hope that you are not beating yourself up, however. Let me know if you’d like to memorize a portion of scripture rather than a verse here and there. I’d love to do it with you. Maybe others would like to do it as well until we figure out where we want to go to next to memorize a whole chapter.

I wish I could use your post as a headliner as to why memorizing a chapter is so good. We don’t choose our favorite verses and doing a large amount causes us have to repeat it over and over again. One verse really hit me long after I had memorized the chapter and was on to another and was reviewing the chapter. It smacked me like I have never seen before. Praise God for His Living Word!

Carol, you are a precious woman who love Jesus. You always encourage me. Thanks! Let me know if you want to memorize when we are finished with Colossians.

1 Like

Oh, brother Tim, I think you’re writing to a different Carol! ; ) If the translation doesn’t matter, I was hoping to memorize Psalm 131. It’s not long, but where I am right now in my life, it’s something I need. I am called to be a servant (from the list of gifts from Roman 12) but it’s what I need to be not only in my life but also in the lives of the people around me. I don’t admit to my weaknesses and sins to beat myself up, but I am very conscious of the work being done to change me through the Holy Spirit. (Sanctification?) Otherwise, I was thinking of a passage describing Jesus’ servitude in Isaiah 52:13 through the end of chapter 53. I thought of doing this on my own, but if you would like to memorize some of this, you are certainly welcome.

1 Like

Oh sister Carol, I’m sorry that I got the wrong Carol. I don’t think that it was Carol Burnett but a Carol that has a last name - something like Nagy. Do you know her?

Listen, Carol, the one that is a precious woman who loves Jesus and always encourages me, let’s do it! While memorizing Colossians 3, let’s slip in Psalm 131. We can do that now on the side because it is only 3 verses long. In fact maybe others would want to join us!

Then, when the break begins in mid-December, we can do Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12. That will be only 15 verses and they are more familiar ones so could we do 3/week? Again, if anyone who is caught up and isn’t behind could join us. That would be 5 weeks. What do you think? I would like to memorize an Old Testament Scripture besides a Psalm. I’m psyched! Let’s plan on it OK?

1 Like

Dear brother Tim – You may be psyched about learning 3 verses at a time, but I’m a little doubtful. Even so, I recognize the benefits of memorizing Scripture, I learn of so many who memorize so much more, and I know it is my laziness speaking. So I will say yes, this is something I should do, your plan is good. And in not too long I will be glad that I did.

1 Like