Colossians 3:9-10

@Bible_Memorization _Group

Dear Brothers & Sisters

One thing dawned on me when someone made a remark and that is we are not relegating our memorizing to these 2 versions only. I just post in two different translations as I used to post in 3 but it made for a longer post. My version is very similar to the ESV but it is the RSV. The main object is that we are on these two verses in Colossians 3 but the memorization does not have to be just one of these two versions.

I don’t know how it came about, but my memorization has so enhanced my devotions. It’s different for us all, but I memorize as I bike and I say my verses out loud. Now my devotions are such a great time of being alone and talking out loud with Jesus. He has become my God, Savior, Lord and yet my Friend. I so rejoice that He made Himself known to me. May these verses help us all get to know Him even better!

Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
Colossians 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: (KJV)

Colossians 3:9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self
Colossians 3:10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. (ESV)

I memorized Romans 6 long ago because I so appreciated what it said about becoming new creations. Here it is again. It’s the bottom line of our walks as Christians. We are no longer the same people - not patched up old versions but brand new every morning. As we abide in Him, all we need to do is to follow His lead. It’s really a mysterious but gloriously simple gospel.

3 Likes

Thanks for this awesome reminder Tim. And thank you for your testimony about memorization improving your personal time with God.

1 Like

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Saints
This morning in devotions, the gravity of verses like these really struck me. We are made new - by the Lord’s grace we are new every day. Yet, we are to put off the old nature, to put to death what is earthly in us.

See, we are used to living in the flesh for so long that we keep going, living within the earthly boundaries. He died for us to set us free. But He doesn’t just run over our life, we have to give Him our life moment by moment. He holds the key but He holds it out to us. We don’t have to use it, we can still choose our old man, after all, that’s the way we always lived. But He asks us, “will You let me have my way or do you want your way? You choose.” This is so critical for our moment-by-moment lives with Jesus.

Later in this chapter, we will be told to let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts. He wants to come in. As the verse says - let Him! We gave our lives - our for His but He is no bully and will not stomp over us. He asks, “Will you let me? I will do it. I am faithful.”

Oh dear saints, I say this to remind myself of the truth in these verses. The Pharisees knew the Scriptures in their head but not in their hearts. Oh please Jesus, please have Your way in me - in every detail. i want to be Yours and I just need to let you have you way. Thank you for your gentle Holy Spirit.

2 Likes