Colosssians 2:21-22

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Beloved Saints

This past week I was biking through Illinois with 2 unbelieving siblings. I am way behind in my memorization for the past week but God’s grace fell on me when I see that this coming week’s verses are very manageable.

I have to be very honest in expressing my disappointment that, of a group of 82, the posting only received 28 viewers. Thus I am going to include here a post from @carolsong88, our precious Carol Nagy who wrote something that really echoes my sentiments and is why we are memorizing chapters. “This is so much better than memorizing isolated verses or key passages. I have always seen the awesomeness of who Jesus is in these chapters, but now I am seeing the deep love that Paul has for those of the faith, even for those he has not seen face to face.” Thanks Carol!

I’m sure you realize that this is our last 2 verse week in Colossians 2 as next week there is only one verse. (I can never figure how where they break up the verses. Next week’s single verse is longer than both verses 21 and 22 put together!)

It’s difficult to run a voting poll here and please never see me as the guy in charge as I am just one of the group that posts the verses. However, could I do this? Could I decide that after next week’s verse that finishes the chapter, the following week, rather than steamrolling on, we take a week to catch up and review and then proceed with Chapter 3 the following week?

Putting dates to what I am suggesting is: Today is Saturday, August 10th. On August 17th I’ll post the last verse of Colossians 2 and so August 24th will be a break until August 31st when we begin Colossians 3. Now if anyone has strong feelings one way or another, please post them because I don’t want us in limbo and that’s why I’ve made this decision. However, I’m not strong on it but unless I hear otherwise, could we plan that?

Colossians 2:21 “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch”
Colossians 2:22 (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? (ESV)

Colossians 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Colossians 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Going back to what Carol posted last week, I think that verses that we memorize all by themselves comes alive as they are in context with the other verses but there is a thread of understanding that is conveyed by putting all of the verses together that would not be there if we learned one verse and then, at some point another, to the point that all of the verses were memorized individually at different times and in a different order. Paul’s thought process and what he was trying to ultimately convey would be lost.

2 Likes

Hi Tim,

I may not login into the RZIM Connect page but do read your weekly posts in the email, I do look forward to receiving your weekly posts.

I’m happy with your date suggestions.

Keep on loving your siblings and through your actions they will ask the questions, especially in times of need.

3 Likes

The last time we had a time for review at the end of a chapter worked fine. I think you should continue this.

2 Likes

Looking forward to the review week since I am behind! Sounds like a good schedule.

2 Likes

Many times I see new things or catch a new twist and feel that they are probably obvious to everyone else but I would like make two comments.

The first is from one of last week’s verses. Col 2:19 “and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.”

When I think of the body of Christ, I always think of hands and feet, etc but never joints and ligaments. They are so critical because a foot or hand cannot move without joints and ligaments. And to top that, the verse states that the whole body is nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments. It reminds me that these unseen parts are so critical to the parts that are seen. I find that often I want to be seen and recognized. We want people to see Jesus in us. Fair enough. But if the recognized Christians don’t have the critical parts interactive with them, they will be no more useful than my paralyzed legs. Children ask me why I don’t walk. After all, I have legs - just use them. But if not for the spinal cord, if not for tendons and joints, the body parts become not only useless, the body uses the inner, unseen organs and ligaments to nourish the body as well. I think of the body of Christ as the outer parts, not the inner ones. I’m still trying to figure out which one that I see that has to be the heart!

The other comment is in regard to this week’s verses: Col 2:20b-22 …Why do you live as if you still belonged to the world? Why do you submit to regulations, “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” (referring to things which all perish as they are used), according to human precepts and doctrines?

Things of the world can be perceived as those things that perish as they are used. I thought that it was a succinct, concise way to define as to what is meant by belonging to the world?

@Bible_Memorization_Group

As we are nearing the end of chapter 2, I wanted to encourage you strongly to join us in memorizing chapter 3 of Colossians. Normally, at least for me, you will not immediately enjoy the fruits of your labors but later, you get more than you can eat. I love the chapters that I’ve memorized and as I go over them, more is unveiled. In Colossians 2, I still have a few phrases that puzzle me but one day, all of a sudden, I get it.

I’m not urging you to join us in memorizing for anything other than your benefit. But if you don’t put a stake in the ground and figure out how you realistically are going to do it, you won’t do it or you’ll get behind and quit.

When we first began this group, everyone was a memorizer. We were all memorizing the whole chapter. Now, I realize that all 83 of us are not doing so and I don’t want you to leave if you are not memorizing but now is the time to consider the possibility.

Colossians was always appreciated but after memorizing up to this point, I cannot believe the treasure that it is. I love this book. However, I do have a question in regards to the verses this week. What are the human precepts and doctrines that we face today? What are the “Do not handle, taste or touch” in today’s world?

1 Like

Evening Tim,

After doing some further reading on this weeks verses has two points, the first being for those who are new to the faith and similar to a parent telling a child don’t touch, eat etc. Paul is warning new believers that they need to be careful as they develop in their faith.

The second point being for those readers who were mature in their faith but didn’t always live their lives according to Scripture. Not just food related but in their relationships (non-marital sex).

So in today’s society I think it’s keeping our minds pure, staying off certain websites, being accountable etc.

Just so you know I’m now a licensed Lay Reader (some diocese say Licensed Lay Minister), I’m being used more within church in relation to preaching. And I’m looking into starting a Biblical study group aimed at all ages and people groups with aim getting people to discuss Scripture in depth.

And to give you something to laugh I’ve uploaded a picture of me in my robes, thankfully at my church I don’t have to wear them.

2 Likes

Reverend David!!! Wow - you look like you are the one we should have give us a sermon on the verses we have each week!!

Thanks for your input on the verses? Anyone else have any thoughts about the human precepts and doctrines?

For the record I’m not an ordained minister, God (at the moment) hasn’t called me into that particular ministry.

I am hoping to start providing my thoughts and interpretations on the weekly Bible verses, if that would be okay?

2 Likes

Great David. I think that I can speak for all of us in saying it is good to get thoughts on these verses.