Comparing Broken Rulers

(Joshua Elder) #1

It is our natural tendency to compare ourselves to others. The world does this but so does the church. Those who have gathered in the name of Jesus often look at their progress on the backs of their brothers and sisters. I can think of many times I have taken pride in myself for how far along I have come in my faith as compared to another. Yet, when we do this we sin. Our comparison for who we are supposed to be is not measured by a broken ruler. You and I are broken rulers. To be more right but still very much wrong is not a great comfort. Charles Spurgeon said this:

“Let us measure ourselves by our Master, and not by our fellow-servants: then pride will be impossible, but hopefulness will be natural. We are capable of much greater things; let us attempt them. It is time for us to live, for we are growing old.”

If we measure ourselves by Jesus we find no room for pride or thoughts of superiority instead we are humbled by our master. Yet, as Spurgeon said, we will have hope; because our master intends to make us like Himself. In that, we have not arrived, but we know God is faithful and cannot lie and so we will be like Christ. (1 John 3:2) It is time for us to stop comparing brokenness and seek the greater thing, “for we are growing old.”

How have you fallen into comparing broken rulers?

Do you know that you will be like Christ?

Josh

(SeanO) #2

@Joshua_Elder Good challenge

Colossians 1:6 - “In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace.”

The Christian life begins when we understand grace. If we understand grace, no room for pride.

Galatians 5:4 - “You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.”

When we compare our outward works to others, we are trying to justify ourselves by obedience to laws rather than through Christ and we have fallen from grace.

I think the times I fall away the most are when I forget to spend time gazing upon the cross of Christ and how the King of Heaven loved me even when I had absolutely nothing to offer - no riches, no power, no wisdom. When I remember that I find no room for pride. But when I forget grace, pride begins to creep in.

(A S FLINT) #3

This past summer I looked up every scripture of pride, covetousness, and idolatry. I kept seeing that these were so closely related through out the Word. Starting with Lucifer comparing himself to be like GOD, he was full of pride and idolatry. This flows throughout the people in Bible stories (and life). I pondered what was the connection and went to see my pastor. I told him what I read and he asked me what was it that that connected all three of these sins in Lucifer’s… I said “WORSHIP?” This was a form of worship in pride/feeling less than, coveting/ comparing, idolatry/ worship.

I have found comparing ones self to others can come out of envy and jealousy, pride or feeling less than, insecurity, idolatry and not discerning from what motive (or spirit) the person may be coming at us. Discernment, hearing from the LORD and godly counsel is wise. We are all broken rulers and praying for others is very important. We may also need boundaries.

About 10 years ago. I was doing phone conferences helping folks and a person came along to be a helper, an older Believer. She was nice and I was a 5 year old believer. I did not understand that her offer to help me came with a hook… I felt she was really smart and I appreciated the fact she could help me help others. She was flattering and had a way with words. I guess the comparison I made was I felt she had been ministering longer and had more skills. I felt somewhat insecure compared her abilities to what GOD was doing in my life. I looked up to her which was idolatry, a form of worship.

I believe the LORD showed me that I had sinned. This person had a motive that was not sincere, even to take down ministers of ministries. It was very eye opening. Repenting for our faults when we recognize them is such a gift. Thank you Jesus.

Blessings Josh I hope this is what you meant.

(Helen Tan) #4

Hi Josh

Your last question “Do you know that you will be like Christ?” really struck a chord with me. Why do I compare myself with others when I have been given Someone so much greater? Why do I get myself hampered by envy or even unhealthy emulation of someone else when I have Christ? I constantly remind myself that I am nothing without Christ. It is in beholding Him that I am being transformed by His grace:

_But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord (2 Corinthians 3:18).