Conditional or unconditional forgiveness?

(Charles G. Pewee) #1

Hi everyone,

Is God’s forgiveness unconditional? Or are there some set criteria we ought to meet to have God’s forgiveness?

(SeanO) #2

@Charmawee The only condition for God’s forgiveness is total surrender to the terms of His covenant - we must leave our old selves behind and die with Christ, so that we might live. We say to God, “I no longer belong to myself - I belong to You, do as You will”. We must join God’s Kingdom in which we serve, rejoice in and honor Him with our heart, soul, strength and mind. That does not mean we are perfect, but it does mean that we are daily submitting to His rule and reign in our hearts, confessing our sin and seeking to honor Him with our lives.

So I would say that there is a condition - but it is not the one most people usually think it is - most people think they need to be good enough to earn God’s love. But no one is good enough for that - all have sinned. The only actual condition is that we surrender completely to God’s love and grace and allow Him to transform us from the inside out.

I John 1:5-10 - This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

(Charles G. Pewee) #3

Hi @SeanO, thanks for your more elaborate answer. It’s indeed helpful.

(SeanO) #4

@Charmawee Glad it was helpful :slight_smile: May the Lord Jesus bless you with a spirit of wisdom and revelation in knowledge of Him as you seek His face.

(Stephen Wuest) #5

NIV Matthew 6:11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. (Mat 6:11 NIV)

NIV Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. (Mat 6:14 NIV)

NIV Matthew 6:15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. (Mat 6:15 NIV)

Most people emphasize the forgiveness of past sins that happend when we join the people of God. But there is also access to the ongoing forgiveness of sin, in the new covenant. And Jesus says that it is also conditional.

In his “sermon on the mount,” he says that we must daily forgive those who involve us in their sin (if they have turned from their sin, and ask our forgiveness). Jesus asserts that if we are unwilling to forgive them, then God will not forgive our (future) sins that we ask forgiveness for.

The conditions of the new covenant not only cover initially joining God’s people, but also cover daily life, after we join God’s people.

(Charles G. Pewee) #6

Hi @Stephen_Wuest, thanks for your answer.

(Page Gallimore) #7

Thank you Stephen. That is a hopeful message.