Consistently inconsistent

Hello all,

I’ve heard it being said a lot when listening to a person defend the Christian beliefs that the other party has largely inconsistent beliefs. However, I also have had inconsistencies throughout my Christian walk. Wavering beliefs are almost human nature. There is no way that I could keep my beliefs consistent and remember something I said years ago that may contrast to what I say today. So, how do we define inconsistent beliefs of an agnostic/atheist/non-believer? After all, don’t we all struggle to remain consistent throughout our lives?

Mike Carroll

2 Likes

Hi Mike!

I can relate to what you’re saying. I can tell you a huge inconsistency in my own beliefs throughout my life. I was an atheist and then I became a Christian! The reason I became a Christian is because I realized Christianity is true. Being a Christian doesn’t mean that throughout our lives we’ll always have the correct opinion on every topic. However, what it does mean is that Truth exists, we can know Truth, and that we have a standard of Truth in Christ, with which to measure all of our opinions against to see if they are an accurate reflection of that Truth.

Do your atheist friends believe Ultimate Truth exists?
How do they know when their variant opinions were true/false?

Jon

1 Like

I haven’t really had a religious discussion with an atheist friend in a while, mainly out of fear of not knowing the truth myself. I know the Truth, but have trouble with recalling facts and making connections throughout the Bible. I know that my weakness comes from not maintaining a strong study. But I’m making steps this year to becoming more well versed (no pun intended) in my studies.

1 Like

Hi @Mike_Carroll!

Great question! What I believe you may be referring to is the fact that atheistic beliefs tend to be logically inconsistent. Not that atheist believe one thing one day and one thing another day.

In other words, some try to claim, in the area of morals, that humans come from nothing and at the same time have value. Or that all humans, regardless of their contributions to society and their capacity for reproduction, are all of equal worth. These beliefs are hard to defend under a naturalistic framework. Therefore, it appears these beliefs are inconsistent.

It is not that someone who isn’t a Christian cannot hold these views, I hope they do believe that all humans have equal value! It is just that they have to adopt those beliefs from another worldview which has different precepts, namely that there is a transcendent supernatural.

I hope this helps clear things up! If I missed something please let me know so that I can address it!

2 Likes

Joshua,

Yes and no. My question was more geared toward the beliefs of most everyone being inconsistent throughout life.

Mike

I see, so you are specifically saying in this quote that the people who are defending Christianity are criticizing others for holding to one set of beliefs at one time and then to a different set of beliefs at another time?

I have watched and listened to a lot of apologetics talks and I have never heard this brought up before. Could you send me a link to a talk where someone mentions this?

It may take me a few days in listening back through, but Ravi mentions a few of these inconsistencies of authors. I will have more specifics once I listen back through the let my people think series from this year.

Now, this is not to say that Ravi speaks inconsistently. However, I’m sure there has been a point in his life at which he may have had a belief that is inconsistent to his current beliefs. So, I guess it is really more on a personal level as opposed to any religious construct. Maybe my question needs to be defined a little more before I ask it again. But I will get back to you on the episodes I was referencing. Thank you for your feedback Joshua!

Mike

1 Like

No problem! Would love to hear it! I am always looking to expand and deepen my knowledge!

Thanks for engaging the community with such a great question!

@Mike_Carroll Great question :slight_smile: I think it may help the differentiate between internal inconsistencies in a worldview and an inconsistency between someone’s beliefs and their actions.

• it is inconsistent to say that the God of the Bible is immoral if your own worldview, atheism, has no basis for calling something good or evil. It is internally inconsistent for an atheist to say an action is good or evil, because in atheism everything is the product of random chance and there is no such thing as good or evil. That is why Nietzsche, a more internally consistent atheist, jettisoned good and evil and resorted to a philosophy where what really matters is strength and dominance. God is necessary to have true good and evil—without God the definition of good and evil is arbitrary.
  • all humans are inconsistent in the application of their beliefs—none of us are perfect—that applies to all people, Christian or non-Christian

All that said, I am very glad that there are atheists who behave morally even though they have no basis for doing so—it makes the world a much better place. And I pray that they could find the true source of morality, meaning and hope in this broken world.

2 Likes

Sean,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was referring to with Joshua Hansen. I just could not remember the reference. This explains it perfectly though. I often forget to differentiate between world view and spiritual construct. Thank you very much for this response.

Mike

2 Likes

@Mike_Carroll Glad it was helpful brother :slight_smile: