Correcting a Sister in Christ

Hey all
I’m currently trying to send this person some resources, because I’ve noticed that what she says is either out of context or placed on a Word of Faith theology, and that she needs to be corrected. However, I wanted to ask, what bible passages are there to show that correction is good (I know it is, but I just don’t have the passages) and when it’s not.

Thanks
Vili

2 Likes

2 Timothy 3:16:17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

4 Likes

One thing I would suggest is to do the correction in love and be sure to verbally express that. Sometimes we can be caught up in the correction that we forget to love or we convince ourselves that the correction itself is enough love shown and sometimes that’s not true. Some people do need tough love and then others can be softly spoken to. It takes wisdom from God to know for sure. Here are some verses about correction.
https://biblehub.net/search.php?q=correction

God Bless :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi Vili (@AlphaOmega)! Thanks for this question! You obviously care for this sister in Christ a great deal.

I agree with what @Luna said. Although truth is important, at this stage it is equally important for this sister in Christ to know that you are sincere in your love and care for her when you begin sharing biblical truths with her. It is also important that these truths are communicated with gentleness and respect.

One way to start such a conversation would simply be to ask her some questions about her understanding of biblical truth - motivated by genuine curiosity.

I wasn’t familiar with the Word of Faith Movement, so I did some research. Please, somebody, correct me if I’m wrong, but this movement sounds like it may not be based on scripture. If this is the case, it may very well be that this dear sister is unaware of biblical truths as compared with ideas which have been taught through this movement. She may see them as one and the same.

May God grant you wisdom as you engage this sister and witness the truth to her in love. God bless you Vili!

1 Like