Support RZIM Connect

Could heaven be boring?

Every interesting story has a badguy, troubles, dangers and romance. In heaven people don’t mary and there is no evil. Won’t that be fundamentally boring? Will there be any challenges?
Another question I have is what kind of stuff can we keep? Not everything in the world is bad right? So can I bring my car to the new Jeruzalem or is everything destroyed first and do we have to reinvent the wheel? Wouldn’t it be a waste if all the art and science we did here got lost?

4 Likes

Read Randy Alcorn’s book called Heaven. It’s thought provoking and includes many biblical references. It may obliquely help you answer your own question.

4 Likes

Hi, @dePloert!

Heaven is a place for those who love God. We will ever be caught in awe of how amazing His love has been. The wonders of eternity when compared to our temporal experiences will be something like a child’s amazement and inquisitiveness in almost everything around them.
Have you experienced a child watching her favorite movie and she seems never tired of watching it over and over till she almost memorized every line? Right there, in the eyes of a child, you have a picture of how a child of God will explore His Father’s kingdom.

5 Likes

Very insightful question, @dePloert - and many other people have wondered the same thing. In fact, if it weren’t for God, heaven would absolutely be boring beyond tears!

The reason is because we humans have an insatiable desire to be impressed, amazed, wowed, to experience wonder and glory, to fathom deep concepts, to discover new curiosities, to unravel new mysteries - and to be changed, deepened, enlightened by all of these experiences.

But at the same time, we have a very low threshhold for becoming unimpressed as soon as we feel that we’ve grasped something. Things that once fascinated us, we quickly outgrow. Been there - done that - on to the next novelty.

Reached the top of my game - now what’s next?

Figured out the complicated puzzle - now it’s boring!

Loved tic-tac-toe at age six - now it’s no challenge at all by age 16.

Watched that story - seen how it ends - now give me another one with even bigger fireworks!

And what do you do when there are no more?

What does the Olympic athlete do after he finally stands on the gold podium? Well, he celebrates…for a while. But then often there’s that feeling of “What now? Twelve hours a day for the last 15 years have finally brought me to this? So now that the quest is achieved, what’s the rest of my life supposed to be about?”

Alexander the Great finally conquers India at age 30, then sits down to weep because there are no more worlds to conquer.

On the one hand, we have an insatiable desire to master it all – but on the other hand, if we ever did master it all, dangerous thoughts would begin luring us toward the ultimate unknown.

Because we were created to worship, and if there is nothing left that’s capable of enthralling us, of bringing us to our knees in glory, in fascination, in total awe, then our very existence becomes meaningless and boring. We were made to be awed forever!

And that’s why all the gods of this world are inadequate – they’re all finite. But our capacity and our desire to grow is infinite. The older we get, the more it takes to fill our hearts with wonder. The things this world worships can only dazzle us for so long, but eventually we master them – and when we do, they can no longer master us. Eventually, all the wonders of this world become “tic-tac-toe” to us – no longer a challenge… perfectly predictable… perfectly boring.

That being the case, one has to ask: why were we created with an unquenchable desire to fill a bottomless hole in the first place? Why was this burden laid on us to pursue an unfulfillable task?

Well, we were created with an insatiable desire and an infinite capacity to grow in wonder because we were designed to worship Something that is infinite, and we were meant to keep doing it forever.

Only God is big enough to fill us with eternal wonder – He is What Ravi Zacharias called, “the perpetual novelty.” He is What makes heaven so “heavenly” – so eternally intriguing. He keeps it from ever getting boring! He’s the only adequate object of eternal worship, because only He can dazzle us beyond our wildest imaginations – and then turn right around and out-dazzle us all over again – and continue out-dazzing us over and over forever!

While man has an infinite capacity to grow in wisdom and wonder and worship and love, and while we will spend forever exploring the depths of God’s wisdom and love, our wisdom and love will always be finite – His infinite.

Ten billion millennia from now, when we are enlightened beyond anything we could possibly imagine countless times over, our wisdom and love will be no nearer matching His than it was the day we were born.

I hope these thoughts will help you.

14 Likes

WOW!!! What an infinitely incredible reality, and one that expands beyond our finite comprehension! It is interesting that when we really think about what God is, when we allow our mind to meditate on Who God really is, “the things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His {immeasurable} glory and {insurmountable} grace.” (From chorus of the song: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus by Helen Howarth Lemmel)

10 Likes

So you say. We’ll explore God and that’s not boring because he is infinite? When God put Adam in the garden he told him to name the animals. So that makes me think our purpose is the explore creation not God. What’s there to explore in God anyway? I really appreciate your response but when I think about it, it seems a bit weird.

3 Likes

I’ll get copy of that then thanks.

2 Likes

If by “weird”, you mean kind of “way out there”, then yeah - I suppose it is a bit. But then, this is God we’re talking about - you can’t expect everything relative to Him to be easy!

But to your objection, I would say that exploring the creation is one way of exploring the Creator! He purposely reveals His glory through His creation.

Romans 1:20 - the unseen things of him, from the creation of the world are clearly seen, even his eternal power and (divinity).

Psalm 19:1 - the heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament showeth his handiwork.

Acts 14:17 - he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons filling our hearts with food and gladness.

In fact, modern science was largely developed as Christian thinkers tried to discover the ways of the Creator by exploring His universe - and they didn’t think it weird at all.

Though it may seem weird to some, it is perfectly Biblical. And that’s actually a good thing - because when the Bible teaches something that strikes us as odd, then either we have misunderstood the Bible, or we’ve understood it just fine and it has exposed an error in our own thinking.

At that point, we can either dismiss the Bible as irrelevant, or we can reexamine our own thinking. But as a believer in Christ, we never want to be at odds with His word (correctly understood) - because no other source will ever give us a better answer than the Bible itself.

Does this make sense to you?

Do you have any questions?

I truly hope it helps you work through your original question.

9 Likes

Daniel,

“It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.” (Proverbs 25:2, ESV)

This is the raison d’être for both science (the discovery of things in Creation) and theology (the discovery of things in the Creator). If God is infinite and we are finite, then when can we ever stop discovering new things in either branch? What does “infinite” mean to you?

Dear Daniel,

Read “All Things New” by John Eldredge. He asks and answers the same questions. A great read with uplifting insight!

2 Likes

I think I understand the idea you’re sketching. It merges the objection and your answer together saying we’ll explore God through exploring creation.
Do you think he’ll create more planets and stuff for us to explore then? If He can make all this in six days, imagine what He could make in a month!

You did lead me astray a bit since the original question was in another direction :blush:

It was about evil being perhaps necessary for exitement and adventure. Adrenaline is for example is a form of fear. But we enjoy that.
My fear is that is will be like a Mario Game where when you start it bowser is already in the lava and the princess back in the castle. You can still explore, but it is not as much fun I think.

Thanks again for the replies,
Daniël.

1 Like

Hey @dePloert ,
The recommendation by @Ctimothyz of Randy Alcorn’s book “Heaven” is EXCELLENT! Get it! And @jlyons has made the excellent point that to explore the creation (in ALL of its aspects) is to explore the Creator Himself! The wonder and beauty that IS our wonderful Creator is revealed in every part of it. Without Him, there is nothing to be found, learned or enjoyed.

My 25-year old daughter just finished reading Alcorn’s book and was crazy super excited saying, “I CAN’T WAIT 'til I get there!!”

I will say that the book, in my opinion got off to a bit of a slow start in that he belabors a bit the point that most people are not particularly excited about heaven and, if you’re a Christian, you feel a bit guilty about that lack of excitement. I did read it cover to cover, but you don’t have to. The chapters each cover a specific question that you might be asking, so you could just skip to the ones in which you’re interested.

Funny (and cool) story… when I was reading the book, I got asked what I was reading. When I showed the guy, his shoulders slumped and he just “Awwww, you know, I’m a Christian and I know when I get to heaven, I’ll see people who have died before me. But I just want to know WHY MY DOG CAN’T BE THERE TOO!” So, I supplied him the chapter entitled, “Will animals, including our pets, live again?” He came back about a week later and was CRAZY excited and encouraged. He can’t wait to go there either.

From your post, I see that you must like cars. So you would probably find the section “What will we do in heaven” … which covers arts, entertainment, sports and has the chapter, “Will we design crafts, technology, and new modes of travel?” …Right up your alley!

Did I say, get the book? Yeah, get it! :slight_smile:

BTW, I have a 1976 VW Beetle that I think would be a nice addition to the New Jerusalem…

3 Likes

When you propose that evil is necessary for excitement and adventure, I don’t think you’re picturing evil in the same way that I’m picturing evil. You seem to be thinking in terms of video games - I’m thinking in terms of real life.

If someone murdered my grandchildren, I wouldn’t consider that an exciting adventure.

If I hadn’t eaten in the last week and had no idea how I would in the week to come, I wouldn’t see it as a game.

If I were racked on a bed of pain in an ER, I would consider that an evil that heaven would be just fine without.

The games you’re describing aren’t real evil - they’re pretend evil. Neither you nor your loved ones are ever in any real danger from video characters. You’re safe in your home, comfortable, well fed. If you were trembling with terror in the jungle just outside your burning village watching Boko Haram shooting your family members, the idea that heaven needed some evil to be fun would never enter your mind.

But I do think that the idea of having challenges to overcome is valid. The only difference is that overcoming challenges in a glorified existence has all the excitement and none of the downsides of overcoming them in this fallen creation.

I’ll tell you what - when we get to heaven, you bring out your car, and I’ll show up in my resurrection body, and we can race. The first one to Alpha Centaurus and back wins. I’ll even give you a few light years head start. Sound fun?

Somehow, I think that real fun and real challenges are going to be on a whole new scale beyond anything that our current frame of reference can even try to deal with! Boring? Not on your eternal life!

And I’m looking forward to it immensely!

8 Likes

James, my dad will probably beat you to the punch. He is 80. He talks about how when he crosses into eternity he will fly from star to star to explore the Universe. I do not think that he is very concerned about whether the Universe is the old version or the new. He just plans to fly. That sounds like a plan to me!

4 Likes

Well, @blbossard - if he is 80, then I certainly hope he beats me to the punch!

And yes - ricocheting around the universe sounds like one fun way of starting eternity!

Oooo - or how about this one: “bing” yourself off to some point a thousand light years away, then aim your glorified vision back at the earth, magnify a zillion times and focus, and then watch everything that happened on earth a thousand years ago as the light of our world finally reaches your personal observation post!

The possibilities are endless!

7 Likes

1Cor.2:9, “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

I love how the imaginations of Brothers @jlyons and @blbossard flew in ecstasy just to think about spending eternity. But Paul anticipated such thoughts, and it blows my mind to think that Heaven would be more amazing beyond what we can imagine. And in response to our endless amazement we will constantly return to God’s throne excited to tell of our discoveries and offer Him our worship in awe of what He had in store for us in that boundless realm of existence.

It thrills me just to think about the possibilities! Indeed, the Lord is worthy to be praised!

5 Likes