Could you help me better articulate a Christian response to the Hindu wisdom found in the Bhagavad Gita?

Hello @Jacob_Cheriyan,

Thanks for taking our questions this week. I am currently trying to finish up my BS in theology. Recently I had a world lit. class. In it I had to read selections from the Bhagavad Gita. I found the material extremely difficult to wrap my head around, chiefly because what the Gita was asking me to accept seemed to be fundamentally illogical. Now, I will grant that I, as an American, have a huge cultural barrier, as well as a time barrier to the material. I am also a Christian so there is the theological gulf as well. However, I didn’t receive enough exposure to the material to be able to verbalize a solid response to it, in theological terms. My question is, given your educational and cultural background, could you help me better articulate a Christian response to the Hindu wisdom found in the Bhagavad Gita?

1 Like

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your question. One of the factors that makes the Bhagavad Gita difficult to understand, especially from a western perspective is that it does not follow the laws of logic that western philosophy is used to. Primarily the law of Non contradiction. Eastern philosophies and epics have been very comfortable with contradictory views within the same system. That could contribute to the confusion.

There are many themes that stand out in the Bhagavad Gita and it depends on which of these wisdom themes you want to tackle. in the Bhagavad Gita. Themes like monotheism, divine love and divine command theory are three of the prominent themes found in the Gita. Though all these themes have parallels in the Bible, they differ a lot from the Biblical view of God and His nature. I have written a paper on the type of monotheism in the Bhagavad Gita which I have attached. Hope it helps. The Nature of God and Bhakti- Jacob Cheriyan.docx (133.5 KB)