Could you please give us some information on sozo ministry

Say hello…hi my name is Werner and could you please let me know your thoughts on the sozo prayer ministry.

Where are you from?

What led you to join Connect?

How do you hope to contribute?

1 Like

@Werner Thank you for your question :slight_smile: Avoid sozo - don’t go anywhere near it. Not only is it more similar to New Age mysticism than Biblical teaching on prayer, but it is rooted in memory modification practices that have been discredited and exposed in the broader world of psychology.

Sozo involves trying to heal past wounds by modifying memories, but this technique of therapy is based on an incorrect understanding of how memories work and has been discredited. Memory is malleable and any attempt to modify someone’s memories can lead to people remembering things that never actually happened—both good and bad. Such false memories can destroy peoples’ lives.

We can experience healing through forgiving others, prayer, and sharing our lives with Biblically rooted, compassionate people. Avoid Sozo and any other techniques that seek to modify past memories.

As many of these cases found their way to Loftus, a pattern emerged: therapists drawing conclusions from generally discredited “memory work”—such as guided regression, hypnosis, and dream work—compounded by group therapy sessions that functioned more as fiction workshops.

In fact, all therapists “rely on the malleability of memory to help their patients recreate their life histories,” Loftus writes in The Myth of Repressed Memory . But, she adds, quoting a colleague, the therapist is not meant to be a detective but a compassionate witness.

https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/news/radcliffe-magazine/investigating-false-memories

The belief that hidden memories can be “recovered” in therapy should have been exorcised years ago, when a rash of false memories dominated the airwaves, tore families apart, and put people on the stand for crimes they didn’t commit. But the mental health establishment does not always learn from its mistakes—and families are still paying the price.

The facilitator guides the Sozoee through an ascent of the “Father Ladder,” in which the Sozoee is encouraged to “visualize” God and speak to the image of the Lord created in the mind’s eye. This is followed by identifying various “doors” that have allowed sin to enter one’s life, closing them, and “sealing” them by the blood of Jesus. Obstacles to the process are identified as “walls” that must be torn down. When a “door” is closed or a “wall” is demolished, the Sozoee is told to give a single clap of the hands to help disengage the lie that had taken root in his or her mind.

Sozo ministry, like any other process, should be evaluated according to the Bible. Intimacy with God is definitely something we should seek, and forgiveness of others is a biblical command; however, the methodology of Sozo is questionable. Attaining intimacy with God via a facilitated mental journey through visualizations and new spiritual experiences is nowhere taught in Scripture. With its visualization techniques, guided meditation, and “soaking prayer,” Sozo is, in many ways, closer to New Age mysticism than to Christian practice.

3 Likes

Hi Sean, thank you so much for your feedback on sozo ministry.

We are lifting up Ravi as he is starting his Chemotherapy. Please pray also for my wife Jo-Anne who will also be starting Chemotherapy for reoccurring cancer next week.

We are so thankful for RZIM.

Blessings, Werner

3 Likes

@Werner May the Lord Jesus heal Jo-Anne’s body and give you both His peace, comfort, and strength :slight_smile: Yes, RZIM is a tremendous blessing. Let us continue to pray for Ravi and the ministry.

2 Likes

Thank you for asking this question @Werner, and thank you @SeanO for your thorough response. I have never even heard of the Sozo ministry until this question was posted and am glad to be made aware of it.

4 Likes

Hi Sean, are you familiar with “The Father’s Heart Healing Ministry”, and are they connected with the NAR movement?

Thank you, Werner

1 Like

@Werner No, I am not familiar with that particular ministry. The approach I personally take is to get plugged into a solid, Bible believing Church and then ask the elders / prayerful people from within that solid Church community to pray for healing if such intercession is required. I would not personally go to a parachurch organization seeking healing. I think the context of a healthy Church body provides more accountability and a safer environment.

Hi Sean, thank you for that wise answer. We appreciate RZIM.

Werner and Jo-Anne

1 Like