Created in whose image?

(Sandy) #1

“This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:” Gen 5:1-3

Matthew Henry’s commentary:

“5:1-5 Adam was made in the image of God; but when fallen he begat a son in his own image, sinful and defiled, frail, wretched, and mortal, like himself. Not only a man like himself, consisting of body and soul, but a sinner like himself. This was the reverse of that Divine likeness in which Adam was made; having lost it, he could not convey it to his seed. Adam lived, in all, 930 years; and then died, according to the sentence passed upon him, To dust thou shalt return. Though he did not die in the day he ate forbidden fruit, yet in that very day he became mortal. Then he began to die; his whole life after was but a reprieve, a forfeited, condemned life; it was a wasting, dying life. Man’s life is but dying by degrees.”

I have held to the widely accepted premise that all mankind was created in God’s image based on Gen 1:26-27.
Looking more closely at the above for further study…is that accurate to say or is it not precisely for this purpose for which Jesus came - to restore to us the glory that was forfeited in the garden?

It’s like I never saw the beginning of Gen 5 before.
Please tell me what you think everyone…
Thanks for your thoughts!

4 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@salee In my opinion, that is partially correct. God does want to restore us to innocence and purity as in the Garden, but if we look at the Biblical texts about resurrection it sounds like what we will become in Jesus is above and beyond what Adam and Eve were in the Garden. So yes, we will be restored to right relationship with God as in the Garden before the fall, but I think that what we will be is more than Adam and Eve were prior to the fall.

Those are my thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Cor 15:20-23 - But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.

I John 3:2 - Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

(Sandy) #3

Indeed, what a glorious day when we shall see Him as He is and know even as we are known! :smile:
Still if everything of this journey is about transformation (Romans 8:29, 2 Cor 3:18) – to become more like Jesus, “who is the image of the invisible God…” Col 1:15, Heb 1:3, then I’m thinking this commentary on Gen 5:3 makes sense. I hear you, Sean, on the wonder of what we will be like when we see Jesus face to face, but I also think we don’t fully know or could imagine now what all was lost in that garden and the depth of depravity of sin. As I write this….can only say, Thank you LORD!
Seems this is one that comes down to personal belief, not by any means a new question or with any definitive answer I’ve found. Of course, to agree with Mathew Henry and others in no way detracts from the truth that man is God’s special creation and each one valued. It was day 6 of man that God declared “it was very good” when Adam and Eve were created in His image, and certainly it was for humankind that Jesus came and died!
As I pondered this, I also now wonder if hearing that we’re all made in God’s image, might be the reason that some claim we’re all little gods. After all my RZIM training, I will surely ask more questions next time I hear this, and I think I will be able to share the Gospel with that much more power now because of the clarity I found in this question…if you understand what I mean…not that the Gospel has changed.

Thank you again Sean!

1 Like
(SeanO) #4

@salee Sure thing - and yes, what a glorious day it will be indeed! Come Lord Jesus!