Creating a Blog In 2020

Hi all

I’ve felt the Lord at one time giving me this desire to start my own (sort of) teaching/apologetics blog. I want to ask, what advice would you give to start it out?

I’m currently trying to do the following:
Start off the website with blog posts centred on a learning project, where I will attempt to learn the whole Bible (just to get the general overall picture and applying some basic hermeneutical skills via How to Read the Bible for All it’s Worth) within the year.

The reason I want to do this first and foremost is not just because I’m attempting to build foundations, but also because I want to keep myself accountable in order to stick to learning and applying the basics of Biblical Hermeneutics. Of course, this is just a rough idea.

I do plan to get into the idea of going into other apologetics resources for learning, but I feel that will be a goal for another year, because this coming year I have another set of priorities that need to be addressed (getting into the British Army, keeping a job to pay some debts, etc.).

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hi @AlphaOmega I am just reading your post now. Did you start your blog?
I started my own blog a few years ago. I created it to document and share good teaching resources I came across.
One thing that I can advise is that you make use of the draft function. You could start working on a number of posts and do not need to publish them until you are ready. This would be a good start. Does this help at all?

2 Likes

Hi @brianlalor

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to make it, as many things have been happening where I can’t even organise time to create posts. I’ll try doing what you’ve suggested, but this season I’m not even sure when I can start. Right now I’m trying to find time to learn Calvin’s Instititutes, and maybe start writing explanations on that as blog posts might help.

1 Like

Evening @AlphaOmega I’ve recently re-started my blog where I’m aiming to impart by beliefs on certain topics for instance Truth, Sin in Our Life, Forgiveness etc. and try and link Bible verses to back up what I’m saying.

During the week leading prior to each pos the Lord will put a topic on my heart, which I will formulate and then on the Saturday I will type it up and post.

As a rule of thumb I try and keep each blog to 500 words as in my opinion a blog post is meant to be short as people live busy lifestyles, and I’ll try and finish a blogpost with a challenge for the week. I’ve also linked my domain to my Twitter account so when I post a blog a tweet with a link is sent to.

Also try and think of a domain which doesn’t give any personal details away and will give you flexibility so you can expand your site to cover other areas.

You may want to include your domain as part of your email signature to.

Good luck.

1 Like