Creating dialogue that lasts

Hi everyone,

I hope you guys are doing well.

I am constantly thinking about creating opportunities to engage with the secular community in Nashville, a city that is growing so much and has so much potential for an apologetics ministry. I am the only one doing something like it through my organization here (bringing christian and secular thinkers together on stage in front of live audiences to discuss topics on philosophy, science, faith, ethics and culture).

Dialogue is important, challenge is necessary, raising empathy through disagreement is crucial.

This is where my heart is after I became a follower of Christ from being an atheist/agnostic all my life. My question for you is: what other ways, ideas, thoughts you guys could share with me that could help me create more opportunities for these dialogues to happen?

Thank you for sharing your ideas with me. Praying for all of you today.

Pedro R. Garcia.

4 Likes

Love the city! My wife and I were there for our 25th to see Buble back in mid-July and are in Franklin and Murfreesboro for soccer tournaments a lot. Crazy growth.

Star power is big there and many country artists are believers. Any connections there? Aside from that there are some deep-pocket Christian foundations, which might take interest. Have you pitched any of them yet? And, Belmont, Travecca Nazarene and several other Christian colleges in town could possibly be interested as well. Have you contacted any of them yet?

Kevin

3 Likes

Hi Pedro,

I have found it helpful to set aside a time for focused daily prayer until I sense what the Lord is leading me to do. A verse that is a personal favorite is Malachi 3.1. “Behold, I send My messenger, and He will prepare the way before Me. Then the Lord you are seeking will suddenly come to His temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold He is coming, says the Lord of hosts.”

In reading this back to God I ask Him to make known to me by the Holy Spirit what He wants me to do and how He wants me to proceed. If I know beforehand I will be speaking with an unbeliever, I will ask Him to go to their temple and prepare the way for His messenger (Holy Spirit) so that they can hear His words and sense His prompting in their spirit and that my words to them are in accordance with His.

God has obviously given you a desire for the lost and because of that I also believe He has a plan for the most effective way to go about engaging with the ones you are drawn to. In His way and time, may
First Chronicles 28.12 become a reality in your life.

Grace and peace,
Mary Beth

2 Likes

Thank you John!

I think I have contacted some of them but not all of them (I am on it!) Thank you for your advice my friend. I guess I didn’t explain myself well in my email, but I was interested in the spiritual/social way to make these conversations happen, more than the organizational details for them. What is your experience at triggering deep conversations about life with unbelievers? What is the best way to talk about Jesus Christ with others from your perspective?

Mary Beth,

That was so beautiful and helpful. Thank you very much for shedding light on to verses who could nurture my heart for what I want to do. Thank you for your time Mary Beth!.

This paragraph of yours below denotes a deep relationship and experience in Christ. Thank you for sharing this with me.

“In reading this back to God I ask Him to make known to me by the Holy Spirit what He wants me to do and how He wants me to proceed. If I know beforehand I will be speaking with an unbeliever, I will ask Him to go to their temple and prepare the way for His messenger (Holy Spirit) so that they can hear His words and sense His prompting in their spirit and that my words to them are in accordance with His.”

1 Like

Hey Pedro. A book that I just read recently was very insightful in how to engage in spiritual conversations. It’s called “God Space: Where Spiritual Conversations Happen” by Doug Pollock. We have a local outreach that recommended that the volunteers read this book. A later date was set so that we could discuss. I found it very helpful and insightful.

May God open many doors of conversations for you!! Blessings.

2 Likes

Hello, @Askandwonder!
What an exciting initiative you have going there in Nashville! It’s wonderful that you are engaging with thinkers in front of an audience, and I’m curious if that engagement then trickles down to the audience itself. That is, do they merely sit and listen, or do they then engage with each other at tables or in groups?

One of the people that I respect the most on the ‘conversational evangelism’ front is Vince Vitale at RZIM there in Atlanta. He has written some reflections on his conversation strategies, which is more applicable in a specific, one-to-one setting, but some of his thoughts could also be good principles for broader, cultural conversations. :slight_smile:

2 Likes