Dan Combs

(Daniel Combs) #1

Greetings from North Brookfield Massachusetts!

I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy and have my MS degree in Information Systems Engineering and Mangement from Harrisburg University of Science and Technology. As a computer programmer, if I see a computer program, I know that it was created by someone. Computer programs are not random strings of binary data. So when I see DNA, which is also binary data, I see a genetic program that I believe was created by someone and are not just random bits of information.

My son, who has embraced atheism, informs me that because I want there to be intelligence design I allow my beliefs to color my perception of what DNA is. That may be true, but I have begun a journey of discovery that will help illuminate this subject.

I take this passage to heart: “always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (1 Pe 3:15–16). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.

6 Likes
(Heidi Mitchell) #2

Hi Dan! @dancombs
Welcome to Connect, and thank you for your 20 years’ service in the Navy.

I really love the way you compared our DNA to computer programs- both made by someone.
Our DNA has a Creator.
Just as a person was needed to create those strings of binary data.

I’m sorry your son doesn’t share in the faith, but glad he seems to be open to conversation- even if he seems completely opposed. You never know what the Holy Spirit may be working in his heart.
I’ll pray tonight for your son, and that God would speak through you the words he needs to hear.
I hope you enjoy making connections here, as you share and learn with others :slight_smile:

4 Likes
(Sieglinde) #3

Welcome @dancombs❤️ First, thank you so much for your service! Your insight is much needed. So glad you are here.

1 Like
(Daniel Combs) #4

Thank you for your kind words. We had a missionary at our church Sunday who spoke about being on fire for the gospel. Feeling the heat myself, It brought to focus what I could do, which in turn, has led me here. If my witness helps at least one person, it makes it all worthwhile.

Prayer does have power so any prayers directed at my son Nathannael has the potential of softening of his heart. And for that, I am grateful.

5 Likes
(Doug Wenger) #5

Hi Dan, and welcome to the group! My son also considers himself an atheist. And while we are able to have conversations about it sometimes, he continues to be resistant. I will pray for your son as I continue to pray for mine.

2 Likes
(Daniel Combs) #6

Thank you Doug.

What is your son’s name? Mine is Nathannael. I would like to pray for your son as well. As long as we can keep a line of communication open, we can have an opportunity to reach out to them.

1 Like
(Doug Wenger) #7

His name is Reece. Thank you for your prayers.

(Scott Harris) #8

Welcome Dan,
As a father my son is only 7 may I ask at what point did you see your son begin to embrace atheism and/or reject Christianity? What are his current objections to Christ?

Thank you
Scott

1 Like