Daniel 2: 42-43 - they will mingle with the seed of men

Daniel 2:42‭-‬43 NKJV
And as the toes of the feet were partly of iron and partly of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong and partly fragile. As you saw iron mixed with ceramic clay, they will mingle with the seed of men; but they will not adhere to one another, just as iron does not mix with clay.
I have a couple of questions about the above passage.
In verse 42 who or what kingdom are the toes referring to?
In verse 43 it refers to “they” who are they? They will mingle with the seed of men, butbthey will not adhere to one another.

2 Likes

Hi, @CharlesDavid. I have studied the book of Daniel in some depth before, but my memory is a bit hazy on details. Check out the resources the precept austin site offers and let me know what you think:

https://www.preceptaustin.org/index.php/daniel_2_resources

There are scholars who say that all of this happened in the past, that the kingdom of the toes that was crushed was the Roman empire. However, this is problematic, because if we study this image alongside the images of the beasts in chapter 7 and what the angel tells us about them, there are going to be ten kings in this composite beast kingdom (Daniel 7:7-8; 7:23-25). There were not ten kings of Rome in the days Christ came. Furthermore, even though Christ came as the stone that causes others to stumble (1 Peter 2:8), He isn’t yet the stone that will smite. These passages also make it clear that the coming kingdom that will crush all others will not be handed over to people. When the Roman empire fell apart, other people did indeed take control. Most scholars I have read who say this is a description of events past are not big believers in prophecy and lack confidence that God is able to communicate future events to His people–which, in my opinion, is limiting God according to human understanding and ability. They usually believe the prophetic literature was written after the events took place. Though they may have some good insight, their interpretation does not line up with the details of the visions and the angelic interpretation.

As far as the part that states, “They will mingle with the seed of men…,” the NAS puts it in a helpful way: “they will combine with one another in the seed of men.” It is possibly just referring to the intermingling of different people groups from the different parts of the kingdom. That is the best that I can offer on that. Perhaps someone who knows something I don’t can expound upon that a bit more.

Let me know your thoughts!

3 Likes