Darkenss where GOD was

(Alban Hoxha) #1

Hello RZIM team
Genesis one of my favorite books and love to get a deeper meaning of it. I have read this passage a few times and trying to get different views on

Exodus 20:21 The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

I need to understad a bit more this “…thick darkness where GOD was.”

Before I go grateful for the work you are doing and special thanks to Ravi from me. God bless you abundantly!!!

(SeanO) #2

@ahoxha In the Bible we find that it says God dwells in both unapproachable light (I Timothy 6:16) and in the Old Testament that He dwells in thick darkness. I have included a link to an article from apologetics press at the bottom explaining how both can be true. As you see in Exodus, at Sinai God came among the Israelite community in the thick darkness of a cloud - if we read I Kings we see an explanation from King Solomon - God’s glory was veiled by this cloud so that He could be among the people. If He had revealed Himself in His glory it would have killed the people, so He veiled His glory both in the cloud and by residing within the temple, where the high priest entered the Holy of Holies only once a year to offer sacrifice.

I Kings 8:10-13 - When the priests withdrew from the Holy Place, the cloud filled the temple of the Lord. 11 And the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled his temple.

12 Then Solomon said, “The Lord has said that he would dwell in a dark cloud; 13 I have indeed built a magnificent temple for you, a place for you to dwell forever.”

The picture is that of a violent storm—a figure so frequently used in the Scriptures to furnish the accompaniment of God’s approach, He Himself being as it were housed in the storm. From the time of Sinai onward these figures become standard (cf. Exod. 19:16-18; Judg. 5:4,5; Ps. 68:7;77:16-18; Is. 29:6; 30:27ff.; etc.). As the storm sweeps near, He is in it. The thick storm clouds are the material upon which He rides (1959, pp. 166-167).

(Alban Hoxha) #3

Thank you. I will read the posts and see i find more about thik darkness.

(SeanO) #4

@ahoxha Do you feel like you understand the idea of ‘thick darkness’ better now? Basically, in the Old Testament God came upon Mt. Sinai like a storm and dwelt among the thick storm clouds which were very dark - thick darkness. Moses was the only one who saw Him when Moses went up the mountain - and even then not directly. God’s presence also resided in the temple for a time and now His Spirit dwells in us through Christ’s work on the cross. When Jesus died, the veil in the temple that separated the Holy of Holies was torn in half and represented the fact that in Christ we can finally come before God directly and live.

(Andrew Shaw) #5

I’m not sure if this is helpful as it’s kinda superficial, but earlier in Exodus 13:21 it says “And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and night.” In thinking about something that several 100-thousand people could see and follow through a bright desert, it seems logical that God picked a dark cloud for the daytime, and equally at night he “lit it up” so they could still see and follow. Perhaps there is a deeper meaning, but from a practical sense, something big and dark is easy to see and would for sure give them no doubt that it was something provided by God for them to follow and not just a natural phenomenon.

(Alban Hoxha) #6

Thanks Andrew and Sean for your feedback and all references from the bible. All of them seem very coherent and bring better understanding for the dark matter. I Kings 8:10-13 passage is fascinating.

God Bless.