Day for worship

Please there this question bothering my mind, concerning the day of worship. Since we have two sect of Christians; one worshipping of Sunday and other Saturday. I know to know which is the right one. Thank you.

1 Like

Hey @David_Quophi. That is a great question. It bothered me for a bit as well until I got the answer. Historically in the Jewish culture and according to the Torah, Saturday was the sabbath, the day God rested. According the Moses law, they were supposed to rest on Saturday as well and so that is when they had their worship. Now when you look at post-Christ, some will tell you that Christians started to worship on Sundays because the Roman empire when they accepted Christianity, they also took some of their features of their pagan teachings and changed the day to Sunday. That explanation did not really makes sense to me at first. Then I learned from the older churches for instance orthodox Christianity, they tell you the reason is actually because Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday. So it was due to the celebrating his resurrection but the fact they dont do it on Saturday is because as Christians, we are no longer bound by every law of Moses including the Sabbeth. We are to follow the 10 commandments but not the other laws. So that is why. But you’ll still see new churches, that probably may not know the second reasoning, stick with the saying that it should be Saturday instead.

I hope that helps.
God Bless.

3 Likes

Thank you sir I appreciate your answer. I myself worship on Sunday day. You did mention that we follow the 10 commandment law, but does worshipping on Sunday not violates the 5th commandment?

Deuteronomy 5:12
“Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.”

2 Likes

Hey @David_Quophi. I am sorry. Good catch because the place where I read it from actually did not mention about the 10 commandments but they talked about the Moses law which is correct but I did not stop to think that the sabbath is part of the 10 commandment. But now thinking about it, that does not make sense :man_facepalming:. But I found a different site. That might clarify.

If others have different replies, I’d love to hear them as well.

Thanks.

1 Like

I have been taught the same…celebrating resurrection is why we worship on Sunday. Along with that, Pentecost happened 50 days after resurrection Sunday. That was also a Sunday.
How awesome we are not bound by law on when we can come to the Father and worship, petition and praise Him. We are free to come to Him individually or communally anytime was want.
Seven days without prayer makes one weak!
Blessings🌻

3 Likes

If you really want to throw a wrench into the question, consider this…

The term “Sabbath” refers to one day out of a group of seven. That, at least, we can all agree on. But if we take “Sabbath” to mean the LAST day of a group of seven, we’ve got a huge problem. See, Adam wasn’t created on Day One of Creation. He was created on Day Six. So when God instituted the Sabbath, it actually fell on Adam’s SECOND day, not his seventh.

Myself having been born on a Wednesday, my Sabbath day would actually be every Tuesday. If I were to worship on Saturday, I would actually be worshipping on the FOURTH day of my week. Sunday would be the fifth. Unless we were ALL born on Wednesday – or all on Friday, to coincide with Adam’s creation – we could not all keep the same Sabbath, because most of us would be worshipping on a day other than our seventh.

Further, have you ever been on vacation and lost track of the days? I have. And really, we have no excuse for it, because we have phones and watches and whatnot. When I was a kid, we had paper calendars on the wall.

When God established the Sabbath to Moses, it had already been more than TWO THOUSAND YEARS since God created the Heavens and the Earth, and much of that time had passed WITHOUT the establishment of writing. That being the case, how likely is it that the seventh day that Moses recognized as the Sabbath fell on the actual seventh day of Creation?

I’d say, one chance in seven :wink:

There are entirely too many variables to consider regarding the timing of the “real” Sabbath. And I think God knew that when He instituted the recognition of the Sabbath. That’s why God blessed the Sabbath at a time BEFORE the advent of writing. He blessed worship on the Sabbath in Moses’ day AFTER we’d invented written calendars, and continued to bless the day that the disciples worshipped on, even though they worshipped on the “wrong” day.

Perhaps because it’s NOT the wrong day.

I submit that the Sabbath is not the last day of the week, but rather one seventh of the week – one day out of a given seven day period. This, I think, is why David never specified the Sabbath when he wrote Psalm 118, saying “THIS is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”

2 Likes

That is interesting @nashdude. As long as we rest one of the days and remember the Lord and what he has done for us. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Most Christians meet on Sunday in honor of the resurrection, and many refer to it as the Lord’s Day (Revelation 1:10). The seventh day, or Sabbath Day, is Saturday, which God gave specifically to Israel for a day of rest as a sign between Him and them (Exodus 31:12-17).

Some people teach that because the Sabbath rest is included in the 10 Commandments, that makes it a part of the moral law which is binding upon all men everywhere. And even before that, they note that in the creation story God blessed the Sabbath and sanctified it, so it has been binding on mankind ever since the beginning.

But others note that it could hardly have been a commandment for mankind to rest in paradise when plucking fruit freely from the garden was no burden at all. They point out that God sanctified it because He rested (Genesis 2:3) - He sanctified it unto Himself , not for mankind.

Furthermore, if this were a moral law binding on all mankind, then it could not have been a sign between Him and Israel. Moral laws binding on everyone don’t work as signs to distinguish one group of people from the rest.

Finally, moral laws are written in the hearts of all mankind. People’s consciences pain them if they kill an innocent person, if they steal, if they lie. Even people in primitive cultures without a Bible recognize the basics of moral right and wrong.

So when’s the last time your conscience beat you up about mowing your lawn on a Saturday? Or doing laundry? Now, if you grew up in a Jewish or sabbatarian family, you might feel guilty for doing something you were taught to feel guilty about. But that’s not the same as intuitive guilt that no one had to instill in you.

So why do Christians in general feel no guilt about working on Saturday? Because Hebrews 4:1-10 explains that we who have believed in Christ have entered into the rest that Jesus promised all who come to Him (Matthew 11:28-30). Under the New Testament, Sabbath keeping along with kosher diets, circumcision and all the rest of the Jewish ceremonial rituals were “nailed to the cross” (Colossians 2:13-17). This is why the commandment about the Sabbath is the only one of the Ten Commandments that is never repeated for Christians in the New Testament.

Having said that, though, I would not deny that it is beneficial to rest about one day in seven - and the Lord’s Day when the saints gather to worship is undoubtedly a very convenient day to do this for most. But obviously we shouldn’t turn it into the kind of burden that the Pharisees did to the Sabbath in Jesus’ day.

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Ohhh I am redeemed :smile: @David_Quophi and @jlyons. That is the one commandment out of the 10 we dont follow. Thanks. :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thank you all, am certain now

1 Like

Thank you sir

2 Likes

@David_Quophi I think that Paul sums this entire thread in much less words:

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. (Romans 14:5-6a, ESV)

Ah, the simplicity of returning to Scripture! :laughing:

5 Likes

Thanks is true Sir

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Removed Posts for Thomas Dale 1