DeanW

2019-07-16T07:00:00Z

Hi there friends. This is Dean from Tucson Arizona, USA. I love Ravi, and wanted to meet other RZIM-ers. Not sure how i can contribute right now, but i have a strong background in 12 Step Fellowships, and i am committed to the Author of the Word and to His worldwide Church. I hope i can one day help answer questions from folks like i am now… Here is my goal icon from a friend:

babyshush

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @DeanW. I loved:

With that commitment you will bless many who read your posts, especially with the talents and experiences you have with 12 step fellowships. May God grant you your spiritual passions and bless your journey. Glad you have joined us.

4 Likes

Hello @DeanW, welcome to connect. Thank you for the sweet introduction. I love the icon :heart: very wise words! I really hope to see you engaging in the forums, sharing your thoughts and insight :pray:t3:

4 Likes

Hi @DeanW,

The “THINK” acronym does a great job expressing our values! I appreciate you sharing this and encouraging us with such a clear expression of when to speak - and when to reflect. I look forward to THINKing with you in the discussion areas!

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome, Carson. I am just a babe when it comes to “practising what i preach” in the concepts regarding that picture.

I come from a hard-core, atheistic, argumentation background, and old habits sometimes die slowly. But you all at RZIM seem to be much more mature in your approach, so i come as a humble(d) student.

4 Likes

Thank you, Scott. I’m studying the community guidelines, though i think i know what they are mostly going to say – still we can all use reminders from time to time, can’t we?

I’ll be watching (quietly, i hope) to see how i can grow into some better principles of apologetics and discipleship. No doubt there are some real “super-stars” in the Connect family.

+++++++

Also, to combine smaller posts, thank you, too Sig. I don’t usually use the word “sweet” to describe men, although it seems to apply to Ravi and some other folk here, like you. Oh yeah, now i remember, Christ is the Ultimate Sweetner, isn’t He.

4 Likes

Hi Dean! @DeanW
So glad you’ve joined.

This is a great place to grow in your faith- everyone here seems to have a heart for just that…
It’s a safe space to ask those hard questions in scripture, as well as a good place to practice verbalizing (in print) things you’ve been learning as you read.
Thanks for the “THINK” acronym! That’s certainly helpful with so many opportunities to speak life (or the opposite) with our words.
Be blessed :relaxed:

4 Likes

Hi @DeanW,

This is one of the ways that Connect is helping all of us!

In real time, we might want to jump in and run over the other person with our arguments.

In Connect, there’s absolutely no need to reply right way. So we can take our time to pray, read the Bible, do some homework, draft a response, sleep on it, make some revisions, and then reply the next day. If you do that twice a week, it will slowly train you to be more gentle, kind, respectful, thoughtful, and prayerful in how you discuss these topics. My guess would be that would also lead to better conversations in real life…

4 Likes

Thanks, Carson. That is a very good approach. I am more used to “rapid customer service”, so to speak, but i see the wisdom in a slower, more prayerful and deliberate response. Livin’ and learnin’…

3 Likes

It’s so “normal” to be critical and judgmental these days. Very sad. Learning to be kind and loving to our Christian community as in your post is so much more fun and christ like! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Hiya Ropebender. How’d ya’ get the name? Making nooses for a living? (Smile)

I agree, if believers in the Source of all joy can’t have fun, who can?

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome, Heidi. You reminded me that i want to search for the best answer here to a question I (and we all) run into often, “How could an all-powerful God of perfect love allow such suffering and evil in the world?”

Maybe Ravi has written a whole book on that…

2 Likes

Hi DeanW, welcome!
My ministry right now is in Celebrate Recovery. Would love to chat with you about what you’ve gleamed from your 12-step studies!

2 Likes

Hi Cheryl, thanks! Yes, i’d bet we have much in common, my experience coming more from AA/NA and Christ-centered recovery Bible studies. No doubt we share a strong appreciation for our Lord’s grace/mercy/kindness to “the weakest of these” who find their strength in Him… Is there an existing topic we should be sharing in?

2 Likes

Hi again. Thanks for your response. I’m new on here & not sure how to look things up. I need to spend some time learning more about how this works.

2 Likes

Hi I’m pretty new here too! Welcome to connect. :grin:

2 Likes

I B a newB too, Cheryl. What say you share what you learn with me, and i’ll do the same with you.

We B learnerB’s… Deal?

2 Likes

Hello Dean, Nice to meet you. Welcome aboard.

1 Like

Thanks, pilgrim Gary. Which one are you in your icon picture? Just curious.

So Cheryl, did you find the recovery oriented topics? I got side-tracked – there are so many interesting subjects here.

Oh, well, at least i got new glasses recently. Just think, if the Lord doesn’t come soon, we may one day be able to speak to each other using holograms instead of written words…