Decerning counterfeit signs and wonders

Hi I’m curious as to how we can discern false signs and wonders, and alleged miracles of other religions. “For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:24‬ ‭ESV‬‬ This has been a tricky subject for me, I’m a Christian for sure but sometimes these claims of other religions and the supposed miracles they have to back up their clams have me very confused sometimes. What distinguishes the true miracles of Jesus Christ (like how He is appearing to thousands of Muslims) from when people claim they had a supernatural experience that points them away from Christianity.

Thank you all this community is absolutely amazing, I apologize if this question was hard to understand, I had a hard time articulating it.

4 Likes

Hi, @Daniel.S! I think this is actually a great question and probably something many people have wondered, even myself. My first thought was that anything that doesn’t point to Jesus and his work on the cross is counterfeit. I wouldn’t look at the miracle but what the claim behind it says. If anything said distorts the gospel or contradicts God’s Word in some way, then it is false. God’s Word is always the measure for truth. I went to look for others’ responses to this, and gotquestions.org has a fairly solid response to this question:

Give it a read and let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi thank you so much for the answer. The resource helped a lot.

2 Likes

Hi @Daniel.S. Great question and @psalm151ls gave a good answer. Just to back her reply.

Several scriptures confirm that the Word is primary and the role of signs is to affirm its proclamation. For example, Acts 14:3 says signs “witness to the word of His grace” and Hebrews 2:4 says God was “also bearing witness” to the message of the apostles with signs and wonders. This was an important point in Peter’s first sermon on the Day of Pentecost, when he reminded the crowd that God had approved Jesus among them by “miracles, wonders, and signs” (Acts 2:22).

Just as the word suggests, a sign points to something, so we must ask of any sign, where is it directing our attention? If it does not point to Jesus and affirm the scripture, then it’s a sign we need not fear or follow.

3 Likes

Amen @dennis.gladden - and even in the Old Testament, you see the same thing in Moses’ warning in Deuteronomy 13:1-3 - If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

3 Likes

Hi yes thank you so much for the answer. This helped me a lot. Because all of Jesus’s miracles were all about bringing eternal life so this just confirms His Kingship so much for me.

Yes and “when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭18:22‬ ‭ESV‬‬
this was actually very useful for me when studying Islam. Because even the Quran says the the Torah is the word of God and that his words cannot be changed so when we use this measure for Islam’s alleged prophet Mohamed we see that he made several prophecies that did not come to pass, thus we not fear him