Describe your quiet time with the Lord

I am 42 years old and have been spending time with God every morning before work with Him for the past 2 years. I am very interested in seeing how others spend their quiet time to maybe add to what I do? What is meaningful to you? I know I do not always have deep times but I am always there and so is He. I have a variety of things I do like journaling, getting on my knees, listening to worship music, i pray for my family some days, and try to pray unbelievers and the body of Christ. My mind is all over the place and that is reflected in my quiet time with God. I just thought this might be interesting. Thank you for your vulnerability.

Quiet time with my God has allowed Him to work in me. I would not be who I am today if it were not for that time with Him. Jesus even modeled this and if the Son of God had to go off and spend time with His Father how much more should we. Thank you for doing this journey with Him.

5 Likes

Phillip, you are right in that quiet time with our Lord is so important! I don’t get a lot of time to myself (I have a lot of children) but when I do I value the silence and allow my mind to turn to our Father and I thank Him for His blessings and for saving me, and I praise Him, and I take most of my time to make supplication for people that I know who are suffering in one way or another. The list always seems long. I also sometimes allow my mind to wander to where it will and I feel in those times the Spirit helps me to work through things in my life. I have had more “eureka” moments when I am doing that. That is when I feel the Spirit really speaks to me.

I probably don’t do anything very different from you and didn’t have anything to add to your routine, but it is good to hear how others spend time with our Lord. I look forward to other responses here! :blush:

5 Likes

Phillip and Carrie, I am glad you shared about your quiet time. I am interested in how other people make connection with our Lord. Over the years I have done different things. Currently I spend time praising God as I come into his presence. My purpose is to just first, enjoy his presence in my life. Then I have a prayer closet I visit (Literally this is two doors that open out with bulletin boards that I pin prayer request on.) Then I have a book that by the current date lets me pray for a country. I read the Bible or journal after that or before. One of the things I have enjoyed most recently is as I study or read when I find a new insight I reflect on its impact on my life and I worship God concerning that truth.

7 Likes

I will share that I have spent time with The Lord everyday for the past 37 years. This time is not always quiet but for most of the time it is. All kinds of things happen during this time from me explaining to God that I did not like the situation I was in to God explaining to me that He is in charge. It is a time of intimacy. God has helped me to see me for who I am both as a sinner and as His beloved child. One of my favorite prayers to begin this time is to say to God: Lord I marvel at the wonder of your creation; I wonder at all the marvelous works You have done both in my time and history; all that said Lord these things do not compare to Your Majesty and Your Wonderous Love You have for me and all mankind. What follows then are many things, thoughts, and decisions that I know are God led.

6 Likes

I observe my time with the Lord every morning.
I don’t miss praying, but several times I miss our reading the scriptures… sometimes I listen to podcasts.

It’s actually gives me good feelings after every moment with God. It shapes me for the day.

4 Likes

Thank you for asking this question and prompting others to share their experiences, I’m really inspired by it all! Like @gchop, ‘quiet’ time doesn’t really feature in my life with a brood following my every move round the house. However, currently I’m finding my biggest way to enjoy time in God’s presence (maybe a snatched minute or two here and there) is to sit in the garden while the kids play and just observe God’s creation. I find this a powerful way of enjoying him, and focusing on God as the centre of everything in my life. I find creation speaks powerfully as to God’s sovereignty and eternal nature (Romans 1). We have a lot of trees, hedgerows and nature round us, and this is my way of ‘being still and knowing that he is God’. I have 3 Bibles dotted round the house in different rooms. As I go into a room, I’ll read a paragraph of scripture and carry on with my chores and attend to my kids. It’s haphazard but it’s the only way I can get time with God in this season of my life!

5 Likes

Alison, I second your comment about spending time outdoors. I also feel closer to God when outside. We have 41 acres in the country so I see more of His creation around our home, and when I garden and am always thinking about how things grow and how the animals and insects and elements are all part of that, I am constantly reminded of God. And when I see the ocean…I feel in such awe and it makes me think of the greatness of God. So yes, enjoying God’s creation is a wonderful way to spend time contemplating Him and praising Him. :heart:

4 Likes

Reading the posts I find fractions of myself here and there. I have always been a more so serious person all my life, I am a thinker. I enjoy studying the Word. As I read, I sometimes stay on a passage a few days, a week, sometimes even weeks. It depends on my spiritual need/situation. Importance being, that God always meets my spiritual need, He shows my things and broadens my understanding. I get to know God and truth as I study, which are vital to life.
I balance my studies with licit enjoyment of Gods most beautiful creation. I stop and look at the little bugs, take photos of flowers and “smell the roses”. Nature has helped me balance some dark times in life. Even when I pull weeds in my yard God shows me things, He is kind to me. I love planting flowers as I see Gods seed principles at work. Flowers give me a lot of joy, I see God and He creates and enjoys beauty.
I also love to meditate on the word as I walk and digest my spiritual food.
To break up my studies I read some of Ravis fictional books like “The lamb and the Führer“, or C.S. Lewis. These books keep my mind thinking and I don’t feel like I am wasting my brain away.
This is my quiet time with the Lord, perhaps another facette will be added as I grow

3 Likes

Yes, those books are definitely good as we contemplate God and our faith in him. That flower is stunning! Like your photo, I find regular mathematical patterns in nature that blow my mind, like ferns. It places God beyond my comprehension but gives me a sense of how much love he has in and for his creation.

I love underlining bits in my Bible too. When I look back over what I’ve scribbled and highlighted, God often speaks to me a second time about the scripture but in a completely different way.

2 Likes

Phillip + All,

This is a good topic and I struggled to focus during Prayer for years. Ravi + Billy Graham helped me to mentally picture God, on his Throne, properly in my mind. It’s also comforting for me to know that God already knows what all that I am praying for + about at that time. Matthew 6:7-8.
It’s good that we all have found ways to effectively Pray in our own ways!

3 Likes

Lol mathematical patterns in nature, I will look for that Alison, that is quiet like God. He is everywhere. He is the greatest mathematician, chemist, molecular scientist etc. etc. etc.
I also write in my bible. And yes, he will show you new things and give new revelation on something he might’ve already spoken to you about. He is multi faceted.

3 Likes

I love this quote by Galileo: “Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe.” Mathematics in nature is so amazing and glorifies God. :blush:

3 Likes

Hi all…
So my time starts at 4 in the morning not consistently 4 sometimes I wake up at 5 also depending on what time the kids alowed us to go to bed lol. Then I will read my bible have some coffee and then pray in my journal afterwards of what ever I’m a dealing with or would like to find out or discover. I have recently started also to note down the verses that stands out most. So I am reading trough Psalms right now so it works out nice as it is made up of prayer so I take what stands out and then build my prayer on that. Still pretty new to reading scripture so for now just reading through all the books trying to learn about God. I also enjoy jogging with some worship music. But now with lockdown in sa we can only run between 6 and 9 in the morning and it’s winter now so it’s not really happening right now the cold is abit intimidating haha,
But I enjoy it so much that one time while I was running my phone died, I stop running cause it’s just was to quiet and it felt abit lonely also. Just makes me feel at peace and like I can run for km sometimes. Not even sure how my performance would be without it since it feels like most my power comes from running with the music,:man_facepalming::rofl:
Just amazing how can you can actually feel the presence when you do spend time and how you can feel not being there if you maybe miss a day of spending time with him, one way or another, music reading or even some videos or this forum.
God is amazing and so greatfull to be able to spend some time with Him.
Also amazing how the brain remembers things you feel you won’t remember because havent memorized verses and so on but when talking to people can remember the story or the teaching or wisdom but just not exactly where in scripture to find it. O and we mostly like almost all the time just play worship music in our house. I’m a big fan of casting crowns and my wife listen to rend collective. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Francois, I love that since you are new to reading scripture you are reading to get to know God. That is very sensible and will lay a good foundation! I understand how music motivates you. I am personally motivated to exercise harder with intense sounding, exciting music. Something that sounds like an adrenaline surge. :joy: I understand not being motivated to run in the winter. Brrrr!!

Thanks for sharing! I feel like this thread is helping us to get to know one another a bit better. :wink:

2 Likes

This is a very good question, and I appreciate reading each response. As a youth in church, leaders would try to teach us how to have a quiet time. Devotion books or prayer journals, maybe just reading and memorizing certain passages of Scripture. It was hard to even take 5 minutes on a regular basis back then. I love what Francoise said about reading the Bible to learn about God. How wonderful that God wants to be known! For me right now, recently retired from teaching and with no children running around to distract me, quiet times in the morning are very different than when I was working. A devotion book may lead me to Scripture verses that cause me to ponder a truth and journal about it, adding more verses as I go. Recently I found a book called “The Way of Righteousness” by P.D. Branson, an English translation of a series of 100 radio scripts originally written in the Wolof language and broadcast for the Muslims in West Africa. It presents the answer to Job’s question, “How can a man be righteous before God?” by viewing God’s “unalterable purpose throughout human history,” looking from Genesis and through Revelation in a very clear manner for those not familiar with the truth of the Gospel. Reading this and then reading the actual chapters of Scripture covered in the Bible is adding another layer of understanding for me as to God’s overarching eternal plan.

For me, prayer in the mornings is hearing what God is saying in His Word and thanking Him for everything that comes to mind, praising Him for who He is, and praying through the armor of God in Ephesians 6. A friend challenged me to “put on” that armor each morning a few years ago and it is a blessing to focus my mind on the truth that the battle is the Lord’s. As people or situations come to mind, asking for what His will is for them also occurs. Talking with the Lord throughout the day is a natural overflow of the morning. Music and nature are certainly wonderful catalysts for praise and for me, that is usually something that comes at other times in the day. Taking a walk and listening to a good Bible teacher while I walk has also been a blessing but usually happens in the evening for me. The things that are heard and learned during the day add to the quiet time’s lessons or assist the next morning to be richer. I love that Alison and Carrie make the most of the time they have in bits and pieces. “Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.” God will bless as we seek Him!

By the way, as a former mathematics teacher, I love all the math references. :blush:God’s creation really does show off His glory!!

3 Likes