Devo 4 discussion - All ye that labour and are heavy laden!

(Dave Kenny) #1

Continuing the discussion from Five Part Kierkegaard Devotional:

After reading this devotional, the first thing I experienced was a ‘hack at the knees’… Kierkegaard’s luring reversal worked to humble me quickly when he said:

But what then is it to labour and to be heavy laden?

As soon as I read the sentence, I took the bait. I wondered to myself… 'yes… what then is it to labour and to be heavy laden? I can hardly wait to see what Kierkegaard has to teach about this…"

Within seconds… I felt a bruise on my knees as you might all well imagine!

Kierkegaard had one overarching goal in all of his writings. It was his intention to make every reader a Subject… that they would be drawn in and participate. He was waging war against the modern day temptation to objectify all thoughts. (I am using classical definitions of subject and object here).

In this case, he absolutely succeeded. I could not read this piece objectively… from above or outside… evaluating what I thought of it… no… I became a subject… I was drawn in and I participated in this reprimand. Beautiful and painful all at the same time!

Towards the end of this devotional, Kierkegaard made mention of a ‘picture’… here is a statue that was placed over the altar at the cathedral in Copenhagen which Kierkegaard attended on a regular basis… it is quite possible that this statue is what inspired this entire devotional about The Inviter.

(SeanO) #2

“where heart-room is, there house-room always is to be found”

Nice

(Dave Kenny) #3

the Sicilian blood in me couldn’t agree more!