Did Abraham take Ishmael or Isaac up the Mountain?

(HarryAnuraag) #1

Hello!
I have a question regarding abraham’s son’s sacrifice . In Genesis 22:2 When God said to him "Take your son,your only son,whom you love Issac and go to the region of Moriah. But Islamic view tells that, the son whom Abraham took to Moriah was Ishmael not Issac! This question stumbled me and I have been serching for the answer for this question. I found this question is a challenging one from Islamic view.

(Aracelis Diaz) #2

Are you asking which one was it, Isaac or Ishmael? It was Isaac because in order for Abraham to be the father of faith he had to demonstrate his faith by sacrificing his own son, Isaac, born of Sarah at her old age, as God had promised them, thus demonstrating faith on both their part, in order for the promise of God to be fulfilled. Ishmael was born out of lack of faith. He was conceived by the Abraham not fully trusting God and taking matters into his own hands. The Quran got it wrong.

(SeanO) #3

@Anuraag Here is an extensive rebuttal of the Islamic argument. There was too much to include every line of reasoning, but one of the main arguments made was that Abraham’s ‘only son’ was Ishmael for 13 years and therefore when the Bible says it was his ‘only son’ it must have meant Ishmael. A scribe made a mistake and put Isaac instead. However, this argument is completely invalid. Here is his rebuttal.

"Since this idea stems from the Muslim misunderstanding of the phrase “only son”, it becomes necessary to explain what this phrase exactly means in relation to Isaac. A careful reading of the Holy Bible shows that the phrase is used to affirm Isaac’s unique status, a status based on the following:

• Isaac was the only promised child of Abraham, a fact which the Quran agrees with (cf. Genesis 17:15-21; Surah 11:69-73, 37:112-113, 51:24-30). Ishmael was never a promised child.
  • Isaac was conceived miraculously to a barren mother and a very aged father, with the Quran likewise agreeing (cf. Genesis 17:15-17, 18:9-15, 21:1-7; Galatians 4:28-29; Surah 11:69-73, 51:24-30). Ishmael was conceived normally without the need of any miraculous intervention.
  • God promised that it would be Isaac’s descendants who would inherit the land given to Abraham. (Genesis 13:14-18, 15:18-21, 28:13-14). Ishmael had no part in the inheritance and promise given to Isaac through Abraham.

It is for these reasons that Isaac is called Abraham’s only son since God himself reckoned him as the child of promise and blessings, an honor never bestowed upon Ishmael."

In addition, the Quran never specifies the name of the son and even Islamic scholars disagree on this point - some of the early scholars saying it was Isaac and others Ishmael.

One modern North American Muslim scholar, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf of the Zaytuna Institute, candidly admits that:

… This was the child that Abraham was given, and there is a difference of opinion about who that child was. The majority of the later scholars say it was Ismail, many of the early scholars said it was Ishaq . It should not be a point of contention for the believers, it’s not the point of the story. Both are valid opinions . (Shaykh Yusuf, There is No Calamity if there is Certainty ; audio source)

The article has fuller details. There is no good reason for thinking Abraham took anyone other than Isaac up the mountain. The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom and discernment and peace.

https://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/sacrifice.htm

(HarryAnuraag) #4

@SeanO Thank you sir for answering my question!!

(SeanO) #5

@Anuraag Sure thing - the Lord bless you and keep you!