Did God make a mistake?

(Janice C Smith) #1

If God knit us together in our mother’s womb it goes without saying that He chose our gender. When people have strong feelings they are the wrong gender - strong enough to want to change - does that mean that God made a mistake?

(SeanO) #2

@Janice That is a great question. The short answer is no, God did not make a mistake. Each of us struggles with different temptations because we have a sinful nature - the Bible calls this sinful nature ‘the flesh’. Whether we struggle with being attracted to the opposite gender, lust, anger, greed or pride - we all must choose to crucify our flesh and walk in the newness of life Christ has purchased for us on the cross by the power of the Holy Spirit. So all people have a sinful nature - not just people who are attracted to the wrong gender.

Galatians 5:16-17 - So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

Going a little deeper, we all have conflicting desires inside of us and how we respond to those desires is often a result of the culture or environment in which we live. So simply because we have attraction to the opposite gender or struggle with anger - our response to that emotion is something we learn. We all have to practice self-control or else the world would be completely disfunctional - self-control is fundamental to a civilized society.

Here are some additional resources that may prove helpful:

(David Cieszynski) #3

Hi Janice,

This subject in my opinion will never be solved within the church this side of judgement day, as one side of the argument will not be satisfied.

My understanding of God is that he doesn’t make mistakes, in Genesis 1:31 “God saw all that he had made, and it was Good” [HCSB]

But having never felt these ‘feelings’ it’s hard for me to comprehend thees ideas, and I tend to take a step back from these discussions on gender-transition to allow other people who have more knowledge to debate, discuss these thoughts.

(Janice C Smith) #4

Yes David l agree that its hard to understand having not walked in those shoes. I lead a ladies group in my church and the subject comes up from time to time. I struggle with how not to judge but be biblical at the same time.

I tell friends with children struggling with their genders to just love them unconditionally and let God do the rest.

Not the perfect answer but the best one l know.

(Micah Bush) #5

Hi Janice,

When dealing with questions regarding sexuality and gender perception, I find it helpful to remember that as humans, we live in physical bodies that are impacted by the Fall, and thus have been given over to decay. None of us get by without some mistakes in our genes and/or our development, it’s just that we have grown accustomed to seeing some as “normal” and others as “abnormal.” God wills that such mistakes slip in as a consequence of sin; that doesn’t necessarily mean that He desires the suffering that comes with them.

Having dealt with clinical depression, I can attest to the fact that the state of the body has profound impacts on the state of the mind; ideas that would normally seem absurd start to seem perfectly reasonable, even obvious. I suspect that the state of the body plays a major role in gender dysphoria (and other aspects of sexuality) as well, though the complexity of the interaction between genes and environment would make this relationship difficult (if not impossible) to fully grasp, much less control.

For both gender dysphoria and depression, the challenge for believers is to learn to look beyond the apparent realities of the present to the ultimate reality of God’s will for our lives (actually, that’s true in all cases). In some cases, the issues may resolve themselves with time; in others, God may deliver us miraculously. Much of the time, though, as with other physical afflictions, God will leave us with a cross to bear so that our trust in Him is tested, either to be destroyed or deepened.

That’s my perspective, anyway. I hope there’s something helpful in it.

(Nthabiseng Machedi ) #6

I always wonder if such gender issues are flesh deep or go all the way to the spirit.

Scriptural, we are spirit and spirits a tenderness. I always wonder what does it all mean when we are that or the other gender. Hard one

(C Rhodes) #7

No there are no mistakes, but there is the will. Equating what we feel naturally as being supreme over what the Lord has asked of us; is why we live in a fallen world. It might be wise to view all 'first feelings, natural feelings, a majority of thinking, in light of what GOD has commanded.

If GOD said to do things a certain way, we can trust the ability to be obedient is also present. When GOD says this is the way I have ordained, then we can trust it is the very best and beneficial way for each of us. I thought Ravi Zacharias and Vince Vitale gave great considerations regarding gender confusion and sexual identifications Beginning at 19.20. .https://youtu.be/fSJFZKhkN5M

(Tina Vartis) #8

I believe that God does not make mistakes. Like David said in an earlier response, God saw all that he had created and called it good. Rather than believing God made a mistake, I think we need to be mindful about how people develop their identity and be sensitive about how our broken sinful nature influences our thinking, feelings and choices towards the discovery of our identity. One thing that has helped me greatly in regards to understanding the struggles people have with gender identification was the testimony I heard of a woman who grew up in a family with very negative female role-models. She said that as a fragile and impressionable young girl she thought, that if being a woman was like being like her female relatives then she was distinctly not female. But when she looked at the male members of her family she realised that biologically she was not male either - so she identified as a “third gender”. She felt isolated and was confused about her gender for most of her life until she became a Christian. That’s when she started learning about her identity in Christ and at the same time was also blessed to be surrounded by Godly men and women who role modelled for her what God had intended. Over time she was no longer confused and she now firmly identifies as female. I don’t know many people who are willing to share their stories as honestly as she did which is such a shame. It makes me wonder how many people are sitting in church afraid to fully be themselves for fear of being rejected or worse. God does not make mistakes, sin manifests itself in so many ways and it is so important that we show kindness and compassion to each other regardless of our struggles.

(David Nalls) #9

God does not make mistakes, He knows the challenges we will face before they reveal themselves to us. Psalm 51:5 “I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.” The enemy knows all of our feelings really well, to disrupt the harmony of our creation, the order of operations, he will attack long before you know such an attack exists. God exposes us to the truth of our creation and gives us a choice: Walk in the light of the Spirit or stumble through life in darkness, being turned over to a reprobate mind.