Did God temporarily become binitarian with the crucifixion?

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are. Did the Trinity remain in tact with the crucifixion? Paul says Christ became sin in 2 Corinthians 5:21. So does this mean Jesus was cast from the Trinity since sin cannot be in the presence of God? If not, how could he at once be the embodiment of sin while also retaining his membership in the Trinity? I’m thinking that if he was indeed rejected, then his sacrifice went a lot deeper then I perhaps realized. If eternal life is to know God (John 17), then eternal death is to be separated from him. This means Jesus not only laid down his physical life, but also his eternal life. And if he truly entered that abyss, wholly separated from God, how did he return from it?

What a mystery.

5 Likes

No. He died through his physical body, and somehow the person of Christ lost touch with his Father, but the person, the Spirit of Jesus himself, the soul of the only begotten God had to remain intact because in his very nature he is God and therefore eternal. Does it say that the Holy Spirit left him? What about that?

Jesus became sin, suffered our infinite punishment in a finite amount of time because of his deity – which was why he became separated from the Father. That’s what death is --separation from God. But would he not have remained eternal throughout?

1 Like

It a very interesting thought of what happened to Jesus in between and if he detached from God! But one place he was is very clear in Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. So he definitely went to paradise but was there something else he did? It will be a real interesting study! I think the Jesus sacrifice on the cross was completed when he died on it he Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? that was probably the time (time of physical death) the father could not look on and the moment of detachment! But as soon as it was done he was victorious and ascended into the spirit realm where is not confined by time & space! However in 1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; which could also mean that apart from being in Paradise Jesus also proclaimed to those bound in the OT times… so there is a lot to contemplate on!! If that were the case still shows his unfailing love for us even in death! Another point that comes to my mind is the word(bible) is for us the humans, there isn’t data or evidence that I know of but just doesn’t take the possibility that there could be another set plan for those died before NT times without coming to know Christ…!? Even If there was It would not change a thing for us but just go to show his love is unending, during this period of Grace.

1 Like

@rla9316 Interesting question :slight_smile: I think there are two things that we can say with absolute certainty:

• God has been the same yesterday, today and forever - God was, is and will always be Trinitarian, even if we cannot understand how that worked during the atonement. Jesus was not cast from the Trinity during the atonement.
  • the atonement is indeed a deep and profound mystery and I think we need to be careful when trying to build arguments off of our understanding of such a profound event

One basic weakness I see in the line of reasoning you presented is that Jesus clearly did not give up His eternal life. He IS eternal life and He in fact still lives. Therefore, it is apparent He did not surrender eternal life in the literal sense. I am not trying to get into the specifics of what He experienced on the cross, since I do not claim to know for certain what that entailed. The following thread may be of interest to you. Christ grant you wisdom.

2 Likes

Ah yes good catch. It is a little treacherous trying to think through such a deep mystery so I won’t jump to any conclusions but I thought i was an interesting question to ask.

Much appreciated,
RA

2 Likes