Did Jesus embody everyone's soul on the cross?

As Christians, we know that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and that His blood was Holy blood because of biology and how a Father contributes blood to a baby at conception. We are made in a triune form ( body, soul and spirit). So with that being said, Jesus was able to take the form of a man because man was created in His image. Jesus’s spirit was the Holy Spirit ( received during His baptism by John the Baptist). So, since Jesus is God, did He embody all of humanity’s souls, while on the cross for redemptive causes? Or did Jesus never embody a “soul” per say? This is a question I have been pondering and would like any insight?

Thank you. : 0)

2 Likes

Hello, I do not really know much, through believe that Lord Jesus only embodies those who accept him as God or Tue Son of God. Those who believe in the work of the cross,though He died for all.

2 Likes

@1ethan4me What do you mean by the word embody?

I think the comparison with Adam is helpful. Our souls were not in Adam, but we still, so to speak, die in Adam. Likewise, I do not think our souls were in any way in Christ, but rather that Christ, like Adam, was the firstborn of a new kind of humanity. Just like people die because they are in Adam, in Christ we can all be made alive.

1 Cor 15:20-22 - But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

A thread on the atonement:

4 Likes

Hi @1ethan4me,

I agree with others, we are part of God’s body only by being regenerated by the Holy Spirit through faith in Christ . I dont think we were in a literal sense embodied in Christ at crucifixion. Many people apply the blood of Jesus as a covering in prayer but I am not totally sure of proper scriptural support for that. As life is in the blood according to scripture, I think Jesus’s blood is considered powerful as a result of the eternal life it represents. The shedding of blood represents the death of Christ as payment for sins and triumph over the evil one who tempts us to sin and death.

1 Cor 12:13 KJV For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Col 1: 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Thank you all for responding, I like what Sean mentions, how we are a new humanity in Christ. I believe that to be absolutely true. It is through His Holy blood that we are redeemed as a new creation in Him. I also like the mention of 1 Cor 12:13 “For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” It is the Holy Spirit that dwells in every Christian and seals our redemption.

I find the crucifixion fascinating and I was trying to comprehend it further, in a deeper sense. So I think of Jesus “housing” all of humanity’s sin in the cross and paying the full wrath of God’s punishment for sin. I also see the crucifixion through a “time” timeline. I am just trying to understand more. Since time is linear, I have to assume that Jesus paid for every sin within our line of “time”, as we experience it on Earth, throughout history. He was on the cross for six hours, but attoned for sin from Adam to the last human being born at the end our time line.

What would’ve been our condemnation in Hell for eternity, Jesus gave us eternal life through God’s acceptance of His sacrifice for our sins. All I can say is thank you, Jesus! Even spending all of eternity, we can never thank Him enough for what He has saved us from!!

3 Likes