Did Jesus perform 2 miracles in John 6:16-21?

(Jessica Coaker) #1

I am currently carefully reading through John. I have tons of questions! But this is the first I will put here for now. In John 16:16-20 Jesus walks on water to the disciples. I’ve heard that story a ton of times, but never noticed how it says in vs 21:

Then they were eager to let him in the boat, and immediately they arrived at their destination!

The word immediately jumped out at me. How far were they from their destination? If they were 3-4 miles into rowing when Jesus came walking on the water, how far did they have to go? If it was far… Did Jesus transport them to their destination? There is an exclamation point like it shocked them.
I realize I have no concept of where they are and honestly, I don’t have time to track that down, so I figured I would ask on here. Is this an additional miracle?

3 Likes
Where did the feeding of the five thousand happen?
(Melvin Greene) #2

I’m no bible scholar, @Jessica_Coaker, so don’t take this to be authoritative. But, I have always read that as another miracle. My understanding is that the disciples were only about midway to their destination. Also, I agree with you in that the way it was written sort of lends itself to the idea that it was a miracle.

Great question, Jessica!
Mel

2 Likes
(Jessica Coaker) #3

I have never heard this spoken about in church. I’ve been in church my whole life. Various denominations. To me that’s a pretty big deal to not talk about.

1 Like
(Jessica Coaker) #4

Also… makes me really irritated that the next day a bunch of disciples would decide to leave (even though they saw 3 miracles in 1 day.) because they didn’t like how Jesus answered the crowd about manna and the bread of life.

1 Like
(Betti Saad) #5

Hi Jessica
yes it can irritate us but keep in mind that miracles hardly ever kept people with Jesus. Even in our days people sometimes experience miracles (I know two people who experiences medical miracles) and it doesnt bring them closer to faith in God.

4 Likes
(Melvin Greene) #6

I absolutely agree, @bettinafamilie! That’s a very good point! Thank you for that insight.

@Jessica_Coaker, I understand your frustration. I see that today and sometimes I want to shake them to wake them up! In regards to most of the crowd and some disciples leaving Jesus after he practically told them that they have to cannibalize him, there are two points here. First Jesus knee most of the people were just there for a show. They really didn’t care what Jesus had to say, they just wanted to see him perform miracles. Second, I believe Jesus wanted to weed out those with closed ears and hearts, so Jesus spoke to them using metaphors that were shocking. Who in the world would tell his followers that they would have to drink his blood and eat his flesh for salvation? Jesus only wanted those who truly were seeking the truth and were willing to stay and find out. The rest dismissed Jesus as mad and probably thought no more about him.

2 Likes
(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #7

Hello @Jessica_Coaker. My short answer to your question is: Yes!

When I looked in v.20-21 in the ESV it said, “But he said to them, “It is I; do not be afraid.” Then they were glad to take him into the boat, and IMMEDIATELY the boat was at the land to which they were going.” [Emphasis mine]

3 Likes
(Dean Schmucker) #8

I actually never noticed that before, great insight! I would encourage you to look at all the other instances where Mark used that word “Immediately”. Sometimes that helps.

2 Likes
(Jessica Coaker) #9

Good idea: here is what mark says, no mention of it being an immediate delivery in the actual account. There are other instance of the use of the word immediately though in other chapters and it appears as though it means “right away”.

Mark 6:45 Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and head across the lake to Bethsaida, while he sent the people home.

Mark 6:47 Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land.
48 He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended to go past them,
49 but when they saw him walking on the water, they cried out in terror, thinking he was a ghost.
50 They were all terrified when they saw him.But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage! I am here!”
51 Then he climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. They were totally amazed,
52 for they still didn’t understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in.

Mark 5:29 Immediately the bleeding stopped, and she could feel in her body that she had been healed of her terrible condition.

So what should we think of this? John doesn’t mention the winds stopping, and Mark does. John says immediately, and Mark doesn’t.

Further, I notice John mentions Jesus telling the disciples to pick up the extra so none is wasted. I was really mesmerized by the fact that the abundance of extra food came from the scraps. Jesus chose not to make the miracle obvious. He could have just multiplied the food from the start, but instead it happened subtly from the scraps. That seems so significant to me. But Mark misses that emphasis when telling the story.

Do you think Jesus used the wind to push the boat to the destination? And the winds stopped when they arrived?

1 Like