Did the apostles marry?

(Rob) #1

Were any of the apostles married and did they have any children while they followed Jesus ?

(SeanO) #2

@Ilovejesus There is mention of Peter’s mother-in-law and of the apostles taking believing wives with them. One would assume that at least some of them had children.

I Cor 9:5 - Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas?

Matthew 8:14 - When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.

(Rob) #3

Thank you for that Sean. I could only imagine how the apostles must have felt walking away from all they had and loved to follow Christ. What devotion. I’m guessing before any miracles had been seen. I wonder if the holy spirit played a roll in their :all in: trusting attitude from the very beginning. Not to mention all spreading the gospel and giving their lives for Christ.

(SeanO) #4

@Ilovejesus Yes, it was a unique call of God upon their lives. There is not a lot of information about their family lives, so it is difficult to say how that interaction worked. There were women who traveled with Jesus and they periodically passed back through the same towns. So I don’t get the impression that they just cut ties with their family - though obviously their devotion was to Christ first. It’s an interesting question. Jesus does mention the leaving of family and field:

Matthew 10:29-30 - “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life.

During certain times in history people have misinterpreted these commands to justify neglect of their own family for the sake of ministry. Paul was clear that the person who does not provide for their family is worse than an unbeliever. So I think that there is wisdom required in discerning God’s call in each situation.

I Tim 5:8 - Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.