Did Thomas quote the Psalms in his confession? What are the implications?

Was reading the Psalter and thought “Oh my goodness, that sounds exactly like what Thomas said in his confession”. Did not see this in the commentaries I quickly scanned. What are your thoughts?

If the Psalms were so natural to him that they just poured out that does say something about him as an individual.

John 20:28 -Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Something similar to Psalms 40:5 occurs 20 times in the Psalter. Though the exact construction in English more close matches the references to “My King and my God”.

Psalms 40:5 - Lord my God , You have done many things— Your wonderful works and Your plans for us; none can compare with You. If I were to report and speak of them, they are more than can be told.

Interesting parallel construction here…

Psalms 18:2 - The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalms 5:2 - Pay attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God , for I pray to You.

Psalms 84:3 - Even a sparrow finds a home, and a swallow, a nest for herself where she places her young— near Your altars, Lord of Hosts, my King and my God .

Psalms 145:1 - I exalt You, my God the King , and praise Your name forever and ever.

1 Like

Great insights Sean! I was just passing by this passage the day before. Didn’t think exactly that he was quoting but I definitely wondered about the choice of words.

Lovely!

1 Like