Dinosaurs again

(ASH W) #1

My question is about dinosaurs and when they existed. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.
-They were created on the 6th day with other animals and died out with Noah’s flood
-Created on 6th day but they didn’t die out. They were just reptiles that didn’t stop growing.
-Carbon dating is completely wrong. They were taken on the ark in egg form.
-Other cultures speak of seeing dragons. Dinosaurs were dragons.
-Dinosaurs are false. They could not have existed millions of years ago because the earth isn’t old enough.
-etc
I haven’t seen many discussions on RZIM or podcasts about dinosaurs. As Christians we should have a reasonable answer for when/how they existed if at all.

2 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@ash How you explain dinosaurs is dependent on your view of the age of the earth. The young earth view is the one that would claim dinosaurs were on the ark and that descriptions of dragons were actually descriptions of dinosaurs. In contrast, Reason to Believe has their own model in which humans would not have interacted with dinosaurs. I’ve provided resources for study below.

Fun topic! Christ grant you wisdom as you study :slight_smile:

Since dinosaurs were first given a name (“terrible lizards”) in 1841, they have fascinated people. Our testable creation model says God created dinosaurs to roam the Earth roughly 230 million years ago, and many different types of these creatures dominated the landscape. Their time on Earth ended when a 6 mile-wide asteroid impacted Earth 65 million years ago. Some Christians say the Leviathan and Behemoth mentioned in Job refer to dinosaurs, but we disagree. Because humanity arrived on Earth much later, no biblical author would have had contact with dinosaurs. The most popular scientific model claims dinosaurs evolved into birds, but we reject this view also. Instead we argue that both birds and dinosaurs were specially created by God to fill the livable environments available on Earth during their respective eras.

https://www.reasons.org/explore/publications/rtb-101/dinosaurs

Dinosaurs were created by God on Day 6 of creation, approximately 6,000 years ago, and were originally vegetarian. During the global Flood, many were buried and fossilized but two of each kind survived on Noah’s Ark. They eventually died out, due to human activity, climate changes, or other factors.

Age of the Earth Resources

Not all Christians believe in a young earth. Below I have provided some threads on Connect that should help you grapple with how to interpret Genesis 1 and why there are different views of the age of the earth among Bible believing Christians. Personally, I have read the books produced by ICR that suggest that decay rates may not have been constant in the past and that we therefore cannot extrapolate beyond a few thousand years because catastrophic events like the flood may have altered decay rates (or God may have altered them). Personally, however, I do not think this argument would convince a skeptic who has a naturalistic worldview and the Bible says nothing about decay rates being changed - so it seems like the whole argument is circular. If the earth is young the decay rates must have changed - we believe the earth is young, so we posit that the decay rates were not constant. I do believe that this branch of science is particularly prone to bias both ways because the implications are believed to directly impact foundational assumptions of peoples’ worldviews. The issue of the age of the earth should not divide Christians, so I believe there is room for disagreement here.

This first link from Paul Copan gives a brief summary of different approaches to the science / faith dialogue and should help you get your footing.

May the Lord Jesus grant you wisdom as you study. Feel free to ask further questions.

https://connect.rzim.org/t/ask-paul-copan-april-10-14-2017/486/10

Here also is a book you may consider reading:

2 Likes
(Cameron Kufner) #3

I thought I would drop this here. This video pretty much explains the correlation between The Bible and Dinosaurs. The video really helped answer a lot of questions I had previously about Dinosaurs and their extinction and how it all correlates with The Bible.

I hope it helps you as well, God bless!

3 Likes
(Heidi Mitchell) #4

Thanks @CamKufner !

The Dinosaur debate is so interesting…as well as, the New Earth/Old Earth conversation.

The video is pretty compelling… the visuals of the massive dinosaur graveyards were something else!

(I realize this thread was from months ago, but I’d love to see more talks on Creation : )

1 Like
(Cameron Kufner) #5

You’re welcome! I agree, it is an interesting debate. One person I listen too, although I disagree with some of his assertions, is Ken Ham from “Answers In Genesis”. Hugh Ross is a great apologist and one I, personally, agree with more. But, there are great points made by OEC’s & YEC’s. At the end of the day, we’re all on the same team.

1 Like