Support RZIM Connect

Discerning angelic beings

Is it a must that you must see angels can you feel their presence even without seeing them?

2 Likes

I would love to respond but I’ll let others begin, cos I want to learn and possibly give my view on this topic with proper balance. Great question @ChaminaAladin :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @ChaminaAladin,

Could you provide any biblical grounds for thinking that we should expect to be able to see angels or feel their presence? For instance, Peter was present at the transfiguration of Jesus, but that doesn’t give me a reason to expect a similar experience?

It would be incredibly helpful to know if you have a particular Bible passage in mind for thinking this is an expectation for our lives?

3 Likes

We are cautioned about how to treat others in the New Testament as a witness to our brotherly love. Hebrews 13:2 “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” This tells me that they are still around us but we won’t recognize them, necessarily. So, I don’t think it is a must or even an expectation that we should see them.

Since they do God’s bidding and not ours, I don’t think we should be looking to see them or to interact with them. We just know that they exist and are around. We have the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit.

I have prayed for help and felt His presence and saw things that must have been done supernaturally in my behalf but I always thank the Lord, not the force or power that He provided or sent. Our help is from the Lord.

2 Likes

Hi @ChaminaAladin thanks for your question. Like Carson asked, I’d be interested to know what’s led you to feel that it might be important to see/feel the presence of angels.

In the past, I’ve been among Christians who have testified to seeing them, and I’ve felt frustrated that I’ve not had this experience. It’s taken me a long time to realise that God never places this expectation on us to see them or experience them. Our faith in Jesus and the Bible is enough for our Christian walk. In fact, I long to know God’s presence more and more in my life. Therefore, to experience the presence of angels would just seem second rate, even though they stand in the presence of the Holy one. More important that knowing angels are around is knowing that Jesus is with us-

And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matthew 28:20

This importance of Jesus’ presence in our lives (whether we feel it or not) is supported through the book of Hebrews which contrasts Jesus Christ as far superior to the angels. It is his presence alone we need to seek and desire.

The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my Son;
today I have become your Father”
Or again,
“I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son”
6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,
“Let all God’s angels worship him.”
7 In speaking of the angels he says,
“He makes his angels spirits,
and his servants flames of fire.”
8 But about the Son he says,
“Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever;
a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.
9 You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
by anointing you with the oil of joy.” - Hebrews 1:3-9

I really like Michael Heiser who’s done a lot of academic work on the scriptural depiction of heavenly bodies. You might find this following interview with him worth listening to as he unpacks the Biblical precedents for whether or not we place emphasis on angelic beings. It also is helpful because he draws the line between scripture and what folklore has arisen about angels.

I hope this helps a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like