Discontent before sin entered

(Danny Doyle ) #1

Adam and Eve craved for the taste of the forbidden fruit, even though they had
access to everything else.

Does this indicate that they had the desire for more even before sin entered the world, so therefore not feeling fully satisfied?

(SeanO) #2

@Dannyd Thank you for that question. If I understand the question correctly, I believe the answer is no, there is no connection between the fact that the forbidden fruit was attractive to their senses and an internal desire for more than they had in the Garden of Eden. Based upon my reading of Genesis, Adam and Eve did not begin to desire to ‘be like God’ until the serpent had already caused them to doubt the veracity of God’s Word and God’s intentions.

If we read Genesis 3 carefully, we see a pattern of how temptation works:

• God’s Word is questions - Did God really say?
  • God is made to look like he is withholding somthing good - that you cannot eat from any tree in the Garden?
  • An appeal to worldly desires is made - they saw that the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye

Before they were tempted to question God, it does not appear that they were so easily led astray by their desire for the fruit. But once the serpent had planted doubt about God’s character and Word, then they were susceptible to being led astray by their desires. There was nothing wrong about desiring the fruit - it was pleasing to the eye - what was wrong began when they questioned God’s prohibition and His kindness in granting them all of the other trees in the garden.

Here is another thread on a similar topic you may find helpful:

The Lord bless you as you study.

(Dawnita Parkinson) #3

This is an interesting thread because only recently my brother pointed out to me that Eve lied to the serpent, which I had not noticed before. Verses 2-3: “And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

God, of course, did not say not to touch the fruit. Why did she add that? Is this an intentional lie? If so, what does this say about the condition of her heart before the serpent planted the seed of doubt about God’s character? Like I said, I only recently learned about this and had not yet researched commentary as to its possible significance, but this came to mind when I saw this thread, and I would love to hear others’ thoughts.

(SeanO) #4

@dawnita71 The explanation I have heard given for this addition is that it was an extra precaution against eating from the tree. Just like some Churches teach that it is wrong to drink any alcohol - when actually the Bible only says it is wrong to drink in excess. Adam and Eve built a kind of safety net as an extra precaution. That is one explanation. Some people also say that God gave them this additional command even though it is not mentioned in the Scripture.

Here is a note from the NET Bible:

NET Bible Note - And you must not touch it . The woman adds to God’s prohibition, making it say more than God expressed. G. von Rad observes that it is as though she wanted to set a law for herself by means of this exaggeration ( Genesis [OTL], 86).

Others believe that the writer of Genesis was simply using a stylistic variation and that the words ‘and do not touch it’ are not significant - they are just another way of saying the same thing.

“After an analysis of the word meaning “to touch” (ng), he concludes, “Hence in the final analysis the clause neither shall you touch it is simply synonymous with the preceding clause.” If we accept Cassuto’s argument,
Eve’s words represent little more than a stylistic variation by the writer.”

Robert Davidson, Genesis 1-11 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1973), 40: “This
addition to the prohibition as originally stated in 2:17 has led certain scholars to suggest that the
woman herself is not beginning to overplay God’s strictness. It may, however, be no more than a
stylistic variation on the prohibition of eating.”

Hope that provides some food for thought :slight_smile: The Lord bless your studies.

(Dawnita Parkinson) #5

Definitely great food for thought. Thank you so much.