Discuss: Should We Fear Artificial Intelligence? #TrendingQuestions

trendingquestions

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

You can watch the #trendingquestions event with Dr. John Lennox, “Should We Fear Artificial Intelligence?” here:

Schedule (all times EDT):

7:30-7:35 Introduction - Vince Vitale

7:35-7:50 Interview with John Lennox

7:50-8:40 “Should We Fear Artificial Intelligence?” – John Lennox

8:40-9:00 In-Studio Commentary with RZIM Apologists Jill Carattini and Cameron McAllister

9:00-9:30 Q&A

You can download the study guide here:
TrendingQ Self Study for Connect.docx (27.8 KB)

Discuss This Event:
We believe that active engagement is a better learning experience than passive watching .

So that you can get the most out of this unique event with Dr. Lennox, we encourage you to ask your questions, share your insights, and learn from other participants. Just hit “reply” and join in! (An account is needed and only takes a few minutes to create).

RZIM Connect is a friendly, encouraging environment for learning and growth. If you have any questions about the ground rules, please check out our A Checklist For A Good Response and RZIM Connect: A Moderated Community posts.

You can find all the conversations for this event organized under the ‘trendingquestions ’ tag.

Get Premium Content:

We now offer premium digital content for immediate access! Past training events from the Zacharias Institute are currently available in RZIM Connect. You can learn more here:

Trending Questions: "Should We Fear Artificial Intelligence?" with Dr. John Lennox
(Brian Weeks) #3

Hi friends and welcome to the live streaming and discussion of Should We Fear Artificial Intelligence? with John Lennox! We’re so excited to have this rare time with Professor Lennox for this evening.

Please use this thread to discuss tonight’s talk with your thoughts and questions. I’m looking forward to our time together!

(Carson Weitnauer) #4

It is very interesting to hear about Dr. Lennox’s childhood. I love how his father deliberately exposed him to a wide range of books, encouraged questions, and made it safe to explore ideas and the truth.

(LaTricia January) #5

Yes! One thing I’ve heard so much over the years is that questions weren’t welcomed, and it was even something that I experienced myself as a child. I applaud his father for encouraging him to understand the worldviews around him in order to better understand the world he lives in.

(Carson Weitnauer) #6

I think it is very encouraging to remember that we can share our faith simply by giving someone a Bible and encouraging them to read it, ask their questions of it, and let the Bible work on their hearts.

How do you know these are my words? They sound like they come from me.

How can we know that the Bible is God’s words? They sound like they come from God. The Bible authenticates itself as a true word - the True word.

(Brian Weeks) #7

Great points, Carson and LaTricia (hi LaTricia!!!). As a dad, I’m taking notes.

(Brian Weeks) #8

Yeah, Carson, I don’t think I can be reminded enough about the incredible and unpredictable power of the Word of God, even in the hands of someone who’s not yet a Christian.

(LaTricia January) #9

Hey Brian!! I think that sometimes parents (as well as other adults) can be rigid for any number of reasons - fear, concern, to be protective and so on. I remember my mom expressing that she thought I was trying to shake her faith - I wasn’t. I just had questions and relatively deep thoughts along with a desire to understand.

(LaTricia January) #10

Key phrase, “it simulates intelligence”!

(Brian Weeks) #11

John is touching on the morality of autonomous vehicles. It’s interesting the moral questions that the increase of AI raises. We’ve been discussing this very thing here in Connect for some time. What questions do self-driving cars create?

(LaTricia January) #12

I remember reading about that points system and just thought it was so wild! And he’s absolutely right about what exists here in the West.

(Carson Weitnauer) #13

I think a key point of Dr. Lennox’s opening point is that AI has dramatic social implications. Technology is reshaping the little moments of our lives in an increasingly pervasive way.

(LaTricia January) #14

Yes, Carson. And though I do hear/read complaints about the pervasiveness, those who complain still use those pervasive platforms - in abundance.

(Carson Weitnauer) #15

It is hard to opt-out of a system that ‘everyone’ else depends on, isn’t it? And AI is used to ‘optimize’ these systems to provide whatever is most likely to grab that particular person’s attention.

(Brian Weeks) #16

As Lennox referenced Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari, I find it fascinating that, according to the book, the two biggest bids that AI will push for in the 21st century - eternal life and everlasting happiness - is exactly what the gospel promises, except in the most real and fullest manner.

(Carson Weitnauer) #17

The futurists Dr. Lennox is quoting are quite explicit about the hopes and dreams of many reflecting on advances in AI:

• Immortality
  • Maximal human happiness
  • Re-engineering ourselves to be among the algorithmic gods that are believed to rule our future

(Phoebe Baumgardner) #18

No coincidence I’m sure Brian

(LaTricia January) #19

Extremely hard to opt-out! So far, one of the underlying themes I’m here in what Dr. Lennox is sharing is that AI can be an excellent tool. Yet, what I see is that there are those who very much want an experience like Transcendence (the movie) where eventually the technology is used to house a human’s conscience and that person has tapped into ‘immortality’ and capable of all manner of activities and feats.

(Carson Weitnauer) #20

I’m fascinated to hear that Dr. Lennox is writing a book on this subject! I look forward to getting it.

(LaTricia January) #21

Yes, Carson, I’m interested in reading how he fully fleshes this out.