Disrespected

How do I handle being outrightly disrespected by other children. Although I have corrected the child, he knowingly does it again. He spoke ill about my father, who is a Pastor. My father has told me to let the situation go. My question is: How would Jesus handle the situation? Being disrespected by a child. I’m sorry if this question is shallow.

1 Like

Difficult and perplexing question but it is I fear becoming common place in the world today. May I share with you one encounter over the past 40 years that showed me a solid truth. I have dealt with many disrespectful.young people but remaining calm at all times while difficult has diffused many situations. Allowing them to speak thier mind though possibly contradictory to yours shows your respect of them. Be willing to patiently listen to why they feel the way they do. The woman at the well is a prime example to me of this. You may be able to see an error in thier understanding of what you believe and respond in love with truth. Pray for wisdom and strength because what you want to restore the enemy wants to destroy. Scripture says
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
Ephesians 6:10‭-‬20 NKJV
Praying for a life altering outcome.
Mike

1 Like

As I was praying, wisdom of Jesus came to mind.
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
James 3:13‭-‬18
In Christ
Mike

2 Likes

Hello, @Matthew! Wonderful to see you again. I am wondering how old these children are and what your relationship is to them? Insight into a wise response depends on the context of the situation. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Matthew,

There’s some pretty sound wisdom on this page already by the other commenters. The pain of being human while challenged to walk in the spirit is real. So make no apology about your question being shallow. It’s not a shallow question.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being offended by the ill words someone spoke about your father. Words matter.
Father’s matter.
And a son’s questions matter.
But these things are not altogether simple:
Sometimes when my sons would ask me a question I knew that the explanation I might give would not fully reconcile their quandry and I believed they would have to experience how the results developed for themselves before their thoughts could truly be established on the matter. But in the mean time they would have to trust that if they would stick with me they would eventually understand. Due to my failures at times, (and their failures at times) this didn’t always work out perfectly. Thankfully, our heavenly father is fully capable of perfecting and redeeming the work he has begun (Consider the work He’s doing in you, in this situation).

Proverbs 16:3 says Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established. But that feels totally backwards from wanting our thoughts to be fully established first. Listening is not just hearing to understand, it’s also following to understand; and watching for clues along the way. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. (John 10:27)

So in answer to your question What would Jesus do? Jesus would follow his Father’s Words.

1 Like

The child was 8 years old. Thank you all for your tremendously helpful insights.