Diwali

Hi all

I would like to know if i can eat food prepared as part of Diwali
There’s a Diwali celebration at my workplace

Thank you for your assistance

2 Likes

Does the Diwali food itself have any religious aspect? Or is it just cultural food at an event tagged with the Diwali name?

So, is it more like Matza bread for Jews, or a Christmas ham?

Hi
Thank you for your response

It is cultural food tagged with the Diwali name
The staff bring the food as part of the celebration

Hi @Boitumelo_Stugu_Moloi,

I wouldn’t worry about the food in your situation as you wouldn’t be aware if that food was offered to idols. It’s similar to what Paul writes in 1 Cor 10:25 that one can partake of food sold in the market without raising questions of conscience. We are permitted to eat food offered to idols ( 1 Cor 8:1-11) as an idol is nothing but not make a practice of it (1 Cor 10:21). The main thing to keep in mind is that our actions do not become a stumbling block and make unbelievers emboldened in their own faith (1 Cor 8:13). One question of conscience to ask is if it will give the impression of participating in the festivities of a false god. ( Rom 14) I think everyone would answer the last question differently. If invited for Diwali by my Indian friends, I may join them but I may avoid food offered to idols if they think it somehow would benefit me spiritually. Below are a couple other threads along these lines.

Hope that answers the question. Blessings!

4 Likes

Hi thank you for your response

I was conflicted
This is very helpful

God bless

1 Like