Do the NIV and KJV Translations of Romans 1:9 Have the Same Meaning?

Hello!

Do the following verses have the same meaning?

Romans 1:9 (KJV) For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son…

Romans 1:9 (NIV)
God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son…

Thank you

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your question. I have included the next verse in both translations below.

“Romans 1:9 God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you Romans 1:10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you.” (Romans 1:9–10 NIV11)

and

“Romans 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; Romans 1:10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.” (Romans 1:9–10 KJV)

Beside the phrasing of the sentences, the meaning of both verses seems to be clear. Paul’s is God’s witness, that he is constantly praying for the people he is writing to as he is ministering.

Your question raises a good question about the differences versions of Bible translations. It’s important to remember that although various versions can seem very different, the over all meaning from a recognized version will always stay the same. Part of the reason we have so many different versions is because we have so many reputable full ancient manuscripts that scholars can start from when a writing a new version a certain language’s translation.

People will differ on their preferences for certain Bible translations, but that has more to do with tradition or how one might put it to use. For instance, some english versions are called paraphrases, meaning they are translated as “thought for thought” instead of word for word. Many like to use those version of the bible as personal devotional material. Other people are looking for versions that are word for word, because they want to do expositional study of a passage.

I found this link really helpful if you want to read more about different bible translations.

Be blessed,

Michelle