Do we go straight to Heaven when we die?

Hello @SeanO ,

I have a question about Heaven

Is there any scriptures about

When we die do we go straight to Heaven or are we in a kind of sleep till Jesus returns , then he will raise us up to Heaven when he returns ?

Thank you for help

Suren

4 Likes

Great question. There have been several discussion threads on heaven. If you search for "heaven’ you will find some good direction. Here is one that may be more directly reflective of the nature of your question. After we die
@Sean weighs in in this thread too. Hope this helps. God-bless.

5 Likes

@Suren_Petrosian In addition to the thread that @Keldon_Scott linked, Jesus’ words to the thief on the cross are some of the clearest we have in Scripture regarding this topic. Jesus is clear that the thief will be with Him in paradise as soon as he dies.

Luke 23:40-43 - But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”

43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Jesus gives more than the criminal asked for, because the blessing will come today , not in the future. He will be among the righteous. NET Bible

The Greek word for today (σήμερον, sēmeron) occurs eleven times in the Gospel of Luke ([2:11]) - it signifies the dawning of the era of messianic salvation and the fulfillment of the plan of God. Not only does it underscore the idea of present fulfillment in Jesus’ ministry, but it also indicates salvific fulfillment present in the church. NET Bible

Paul is also confident that he will be with Christ when he dies.

2 Cor 5:8 - We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

3 Likes

Thanks very much !

This is just what I was looking for !

God Bless

4 Likes

Thanks again Sean !

This is just what I was looking for!

May God bless you

Suren

4 Likes

@Suren_Petrosian Glad it helped - the Lord Jesus be with you and grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in knowledge of Him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@SeanO En la historia del rico y Lázaro, en el lugar de su reposo después de la muerte, había una división “el Lugar de Tormento” y “el Paraíso”. Después del Juicio del Trono Blanco, el Lugar de Tormento será transportado al Lago de Fuego, y en la venida de Jesucristo en las nubes nuestro cuerpo será transformado (vivos y los que se encuentren en el Paraíso) para habitar en la Nueva Jerusalén, a lo que conocemos como el “Cielo”. Lucas 16:22-26; Apocalipsis 20:14; Oseas 13:14; Juan 14:3; 1Corintios 15:51-52.

3 Likes

@la.sabiduria.viene.de.lo.alto I used Google translate to get some idea of what you are saying, so I hope this is a helpful response :slight_smile: I do not necessarily think the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus is a literal depiction of the afterlife. I think Jesus may have been using a common story of the day to make a point (see below).

The Rich Man and Lazarus

I think the reason Lazarus had a name was because Jesus was making the point that even though Lazarus had no name in this world, God knew his name. It was not because Lazarus was a real person…

As Jacoby points out in his book, this story of a reversal of fate was common in the ancient world. Jesus may not have been telling a true story, but rather adapting a common story of his time in order to make His point to the Pharisees. Therefore, we may not be able to get much information from this story about the actual physical layout of the afterlife because it may not be a story that actually happened. Rather, like Jesus’ other parables, it is a story with a point (not necessarily a true story).

A doctoral dissertation at the University of Amsterdam identified seven versions of the parable circulating in the first century.2 The fortunes of a rich man and a poor man are reversed in the afterlife. As often happens in the Bible, a preexisting story is adapted to present a theological truth. Douglas Jacoby

N.T. Wright, explains. The story carries clear echoes of well-known folk tales to which Jesus is giving a fresh and startling twist.

3 Likes

Entiendo tu punto. En el caso contrario, yo creo que Cristo sacaba sus parábolas de sucesos reales, cómo él dice “Antes que Abraham existiera Yo Soy”. A lo largo de la historia de la humanidad yo sí creo que en algún momento acontecieron realmente los sucesos de sus parábolas. Dejando este punto, lo que creo que sí es un hecho, es que el Ades será transportado al lago de fuego y todos los hijos de Dios a la Nueva Jerusalén lo que comúnmente conocemos como el cielo.

3 Likes

@la.sabiduria.viene.de.lo.alto Good point - we know that in the end there will be those who are with Christ and those who have chosen to reject Christ (which is very, very tragic). The images of the ‘lake of fire’ and of the ‘New Jerusalem’ may be images rather than literal places or things. Revelation is apocalyptic literature and, like other apocalyptic literature, uses imagery to convey ideas. Revelation in particular uses a massive amount of imagery from the Old Testament that is rich with meaning.

So I would say that the lake of fire is not a literal place, but rather a way of conveying the reality of judgment and then dissolution of this present world. Consider, for example, the fact that ‘death itself’ will be cast into the lake of fire. Death is not a thing - you cannot cast it anywhere. But this image is used to convey the fact that in the new age - in the New Creation - there will be no more death - death is dead!

Here is a thread on different ways of reading Revelation you may find informative.

1 Like