Do you believe in death bed conversions?

Dear Pastor Ravi:
First, I’m so sorry for your pain. I, too, am a pain management patient with no hope for a change in my condition. Therefore, I pray the Lord will continue to sustain you, and that your doctors will be able to reconfigure the rods in your back and alleviate your pain completely. We need you desperately!

I want to know if you believe in death bed conversions when the patient cannot speak. For example,
Romans 10:9 NKJV - that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

I believe God is all-knowing and would know the intentions of the dying person’s heart. However, there are those that argue for the fact that they are unable to speak, therefore unable to be saved.

I disagree and wonder if you feel the same way.

God bless your dear heart and may He bless you with comfort, peace and ease of pain in Yeshua’s name.

Katie Abrams

2 Likes

@Katie_Abrams Welcome to Connect :slight_smile: Ravi does not usually answer questions directly here, but we have lots of friendly folks who will help answer your questions. May the Lord Jesus give you strength and peace as you manage your pain, providing you the grace each day that you need to experience His love and joy.

I agree with you and believe Ravi would as well. If we look at Romans 10, we see in the verses immediately following verse 10 that Paul was not giving us two conditions for salvation. Even in this very same chapter, Paul makes it clear that all who call upon the name of Jesus are saved—regardless of whether or not they are able to confess with their mouth. Faith is the only prerequisite for salvation. That is a major theme of the entire book of Galatians.

Romans 10:10-15 - For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 17:3 - Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Galatians 2:15-21 - We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

1 Like

Hello Katie. Praying for a release in regards to your pain, our mighty Physician has healed many.
Have read SeanO many times and have always agreed with his insight.
May I just add this one thought.

Hebrews 4:12 NKJV
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
I am not certain why some limit Gods powerful grace so puny.

Hope this helps you
Mike

1 Like

Hi Mike and bless your heart. I’m a thorough believer in Hebrews 4:12, and I agree so many make El Shaddai into an elf on the shelf. My understanding from the Scriptures is pride. Due to pride, they believe either God is not great or they are greater than God. No wonder He hates it. And no wonder they have no freedom or victory, for their prayers go no higher than the ceiling.

We were so pleased to see that Ravi is headed for surgery on Thursday. It should be a great release for him; and armed with the knowledge that our Holy Father has placed such capable and wonderful saints in the RZIM organization, he should be able to rest fully and comfortably. We still are praying for him though and expect to receive excellent reports in eight weeks or so. Please convey our admiration.

Shalom, ahava

1 Like

I love the artist rendering of Jesus, and thank you for your responce I truly appreciate it.
Mike

Hi Katie, You might want to read a book by Richard A.Burr,” Praying Your Prodigal Home.”
Google it to learn a little bit about Richard and one of many books he wrote.
I had the privilege of knowing Richard for many years. He went to be with his Lord and Savior on Dec. 14 2017.
Yes, I believe in bed side conversions.
God is Good to All.
Fred

Hi, Katie. I absolutely believe in death bed conversions, as a physician having seen them more than once. The thief on the cross was also arguably a death bed conversion. His conversion was clearly genuine as Jesus assures the thief that he will be with Him in paradise. Are all of them “real conversions” as opposed to last minute attempts to get “fire insurance” or to (falsely) reassure Christian family members? Probably some fall into the latter category, but approaching death has an incredible way of focusing one on what is important–and discerning what is not. In the parable of the laborers in the vineyard, Matt. 20:1-16, the vineyard owner pays the same wage to the workers who only work an hour as to those who worked all day, citing his right to do so and suggesting that their grumbling is because they are envious and resentful of his generosity (1:15). This parable is generally regarded as referring to blessings in heaven because in the immediately preceding chapter, Jesus is discussing heavenly rewards. As for confessing with the mouth, Matt. 5:8 says that the pure in heart will see God. Romans 10:9 is directed to those who are unwilling to publicly admit their faith for fear of social, legal or political fallout as opposed to people who are mute or too young, mentally impaired or sick to speak coherently. The same principle applies to verses that seem to imply that baptism is necessary for salvation. Scripture makes it clear in many verses that God looks at the heart (1 Sam. 16:7; 1 Kings 8:39; Prov. 16:2 et al.) and that salvation is by God’s grace through faith with true repentance, and not the result of any external act on our part (Acts 3:12-26; Acts15; Romans 3:22-30; Romans 4:5; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8-9; Philippians 3:9). Ordinarily, believers are expected to publicly share their faith and will be baptized as acts of loving obedience, and it is worrisome if they don’t, but if circumstances beyond their control keep these things from happening, I believe that Scripture teaches that the person is no less saved.

2 Likes