Do you believe that human cultures flourished prior to 10,000 years ago?

fazalerana
humanorigins

(SeanO) #1

Dr. Rana, I’ve read a few of the books you and Dr. Ross have put out - great stuff! I have a few questions for you - but only one per post :slight_smile:

Based on the 50K year timeline you guys gave for humanity, I have the following question:

Do you believe that human cultures flourished prior to 10000 years ago? If not, since you believe Adam / Eve are around 50K years old (per my understanding), do you think there was a 20-30K year dark age of civilization? How was God active in that time?

Ask Dr. Fazale Rana (November 13-17, 2017)
(Fazale Rana) #2

Sean,

In the Expanded Updated Edition of Who Was Adam? https://shop.reasons.org/product/281/who-was-adam we discuss more recent work that indicates symbolic activity extends back to the time humanity originated. Here is an article that discusses some of that evidence: http://reasons.org/explore/blogs/todays-new-reason-to-believe/read/tnrtb/2013/02/04/new-archeological-evidence-fills-the-gap-in-the-biblical-case-for-human-origins

Large scale agriculture and settlements didn’t appear until 14,000 years ago. But, I don’t think it was a pre-historic dark age. Humans lived hunter-gather lifestyles but were engaged in sophisticated behavior that included art and music and religious expression. The Neolithic revolution involved the appearance of new “technology” but not a change in biological capabilities.

(Carson Weitnauer) #3

(Fazale Rana) #4

One more point, Sean. I regard Genesis 1 as history, but I see it as compressed history, in which a lot of detail is excluded. God could well have been active during early pre-history. We just don’t have a record of it.

(SeanO) #5

@Fazale_Rana Thank you for the response! I often wonder if the “sons of God” or godly line of Seth experienced God’s presence throughout history. Obviously Noah had to have learned faith in God from somewhere. It’s just so interesting that God waited 47K years to reveal the Law and nearly 49K years to send His Son.

(Fazale Rana) #6

Sean,

I see your point…But, let’s assume a YEC chronology for sake of discussion. God still waited ~3000 years before revealing the Law and ~4000 years before sending His Son. So, I don’t see how a YEC view solves the problem. Because, it seems to me that God waited a long time in either scenario…

I find it interesting that archeological evidence for religious activity extends back to the time that humanity had its origin. (To dig deeper watch this lecture I gave a few years ago at the Dig and Delve Conference in Ottawa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqvhhYcM4A&t=1512s) Combining that observation with the idea Paul highlights in Romans 2–God wrote the Law on our hearts–leads me to conclude that God was not without a witness and that He was active throughout human history.

Romans 2:14-15
14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

(SeanO) #7

@Fazale_Rana Thanks for the response. I’m not Young Earth, but it’s just very interesting to me how / when God chooses to act because it has implications for how I relate to Him. I like the Reasons to Believe model, since I am a scientist of sorts - computer engineer - and I find no good evidence for the evolution of modern hominids (not to mention the problem of consciousness).

Psalms 19 plays beautifully into your argument - the heavens declare the glory of God. As does Acts 17 - God placed the nations that they might reach out and find Him :slight_smile:

So your arguments are solid imho. I simply wonder what the implications of the way God chooses to reveal Himself indirectly are for how we relate to Him now and in the afterlife. I Cor 13 seems to indicate that even though now we see in a glass as though darkly, then we will see face to face.

But I struggle with that idea. Why did I spend all of these years learning to trust God with only His Spirit when eternity is a Feast of His Presence and seeing Him face to face? It’s like working out a muscle that ceases to have any purpose. And in a very strange way, anticlimactic. I love Jesus. I do not need to see Him to love Him anymore. It’s buried in my heart.

It’s like getting to know a person one way - over the phone or by letters. And then suddenly meeting them in person. Except we get to know God by His Spirit and then suddenly meet Him in Person. I wonder what that will be like and what the purpose was in maintaining that dark glass throughout our earthly lives.