Do you find that people who you have led to Christ through more culturally contextualized methods (such as movies that a Christian may choose not to watch) later choose to guard their eyes / heart in a more or less strict fashion?

tomprice
sinful-habits

(SeanO) #1

@Tom_Price Do you find that people who you have led to Christ through more culturally contextualized methods (such as movies that a Christian may choose not to watch) later choose to guard their eyes / heart in a more strict fashion? Or do they generally continue with the level of holiness in media intake with which they were introduced to the faith?

I am very curious about your experience in this area since you do so much outreach. My own experience is limited and so my opinions are biased.

Thank you

Ask Tom Price (January 29 - February 2, 2018)
(Tom Price) #2

Thanks for the question Sean.

I’ve certainly seen anecdotal evidence that when people have discovered a friendship with Jesus Christ and something that they were involved in (which isn’t necessarily a sinful thing at all) is something that they deliberately lay aside in quite a final and clear way.

The degree to which you make a clean break from worldly patterns of thinking is definitely linked to spiritual development and growth. Having said that, you will find different patterns of growth into Christian commitment and maturity in the New Testament. Timothy needed to gradually deepen his commitment from childhood. Paul had an immediate moment of radical commitment. After their initial call, the disciples themselves seemed to exhibit different levels of commitment (sometimes very little and even denying Jesus) as their time with Jesus increased.

I feel sure that the key to deep transformation is not the really primarily about the level of a persons commitment but the realness of their friendship with Jesus. The key to this isn’t so much commitment but confession of sin and receipt of forgiveness.

Another way of putting this final thought is that I shouldn’t be trying to be more serious about God, I should get on my knees and admit that I’m in a serious mess before him and that he is serious about forgiving and loving me.

(SeanO) #3

@Tom_Price Thank you for the reply.

I think I see the truth of what you are saying in my own experience - that if we comprehend God’s love it moves us to love God (1 John) which then moves us to obey Him (John).

What do you make of passages like the following from 2 Peter 1? I think when Peter says that people who do not pursue these things have ‘forgotten the cleansing from their past sins’ that is kind of what you are getting at? However, Peter does seem pretty serious about being serious about God.

For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

(Tom Price) #4

Hi Sean,

The relationship with Jesus involves serious commitment. A marriage is the same. A marriage is much more than a commitment. Same with a relationship with Christ.

(Kay Kalra) #5