Do you find that scientists can ignore the obvious facts if it is out of line with their scientific theories?

hughross

(RZIM Connect Member) #1

Hugh,
In a seminar you remarked that the main reason that scientists do not adhere to Christianity wasn’t because of Jesus or even the resurrection but that, as you felt was evident in your presentation about the old earth, Christians can deny scientific fact and that turns off the science world often to explore the truth in Christianity. Those weren’t your exact words but I’m trying to be concise.

Do you personally find that scientists can be guilty of the same thing - that they ignore the obvious facts if it is out of line with their scientific theories? I’m sure it can happen but do you find it often to be the case?

(Hugh Ross) #2

You are correct that unbelieving scientists can be guilty of the same offense. I will give you two examples: 1) Atheist scientists will gather together and agree with one another that an unassailable assumption is that there is no God and all of physical reality can be explained by materialistic causation only. They then struggle to find interpretations of nature where they force fit all their scientific data into that godless, materialistic model. Where the date cannot be force-fitted into their model, they either reject or call into question the data. 2) Evolutionists will gather together and agree with one another that an unassailable assumption is that life originated through strictly natural processes and later evolved, again through strictly natural processes, into higher life forms, including human beings. They then struggle to find interpretations where they force fit all the scientific data into that evolutionary model. Again, where the data cannot be force-fitted, they either reject or ignore the data.
To reach these scientists for Christ, it will have little impact if we merely point out the flaws in their models. Scientists will stick to there models, no matter how flawed, until they see better models to replace them. Thus, we Christians must show them a biblical creation model that provides more comprehensive explanatory power and greater predictive success. This is how we engage scientists at Reasons to Believe. We show them our biblical creation model and invite them to critique it. For more on this evangelistic approach see More Than a Theory.

(Kay Kalra) #3