Do you have any favorite literature books that illustrate aspects of apologetics?

@ClareW, do you have any favorite literature books that illustrate aspects of apologetics? I love Ravi Zacharias’s point in Living an Apologetic Life that we argue at level 1 (logic), illustrate at level 2 (arts), and apply at level 3 (kitchen table). I enjoy reading literature books that build my repertoire of illustrations. I also have opportunities to recommend books to the young people in my life. I work with students of all ages, so I don’t need recommendations targeted at a specific age.

1 Like

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for this question. It’s great to see you engaging with Ravi’s three levels of philosophy.

When it comes to sharing the gospel through literature, I like Shakespearean tragedies. I know that sounds a bit gloomy but there is something compelling about the hamartia of Shakespeare’s heroes which reflects our sinful nature. You don’t need to unpack the Fall for someone who is not a Christian to identify with the good and evil intentions that are at work in the hearts of Shakespeare’s heroes and within our own hearts. This can lead to deep discussions about what the solution is for the human condition.

You can also share the experience of Shakespeare’s tragedies with friends and young people by going to see the plays at the theatre. Great discussions can ensue after a theatre visit!

Other texts which I think present moral dilemmas and dystopias which call for a transcendent answer are Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies, Noughts and Crosses and 1984.

I hope this is helpful.

Clare

4 Likes