Do you think NASA's new technology will more of show God's glory?

science
(Curran Harms) #1

I feel that the new telescope that is to be launched by NASA will help provide more concrete evidence for the Christian worldview. The hubble telescope was essential in proving that time, space, and matter all had a beginning which led to point that our universe had a beginning and someone had to create the beginning (God). This left many atheists with trouble proving their beliefs. Now with the Webb telescope, we will be able to measure infrared images and see closer to the beginning galaxies at the beginning of the universe.

I wonder what atheists may try to claim in defense to this? What do you think the outcome of this satellite will show?

https://jwst.nasa.gov/comparison_about.html

1 Like
(Sara Isaac) #2

Hey Curran! I know that feeling when you just can’t get why they are not convinced despite all what we know and have discovered over the years. The neo-atheists are quite aggressive and less resilient to the possibility of God. They know that what we know so far is about 2% of the whole universe. And yet they believe that it is more probable to find answers in the unknown 98% than in God. Stephen Hawking even believed that there was a “theory of everything” that yet to be discovered but he dare not call it God. People don’t believe not due to lack of evidence but rather due to lack of will. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, anyways. Although, the whole creature points to God, our hearts do as well. Isaiah says:" He said, “Go and tell this people: “ ‘Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.’ Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed."
When a Russian cosmonaut returned from space and reported that he had not found God, C. S. Lewis responded that this was like Hamlet going into the attic of his castle and looking for Shakespeare! But even when God revealed Himself in the person of Christ, they killed him!
Friedrich Nietzsche, in his madman parable, said that we have killed God. And what is quite interesting is the fact that he understood the implications of such a declaration. He understood that once we omit the God figure we lose the compass for what is good and what is bad, our sense of identity and purpose. And the only alternative for God was Man. And we know that Hitler was a great fan of Nietzsche. He adopted this view and took it to heart and what resulted was the greatest massacre of all the massacres combined together.
And why is this so? The bible says in John 3: “This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.”
Disclaimer: Doubt is not considered disbelief. Arrogance and self-centeredness are the true Sin.

2 Likes
(Curran Harms) #3

@saraisaac You response was amazing!!! :slightly_smiling_face:. Thank you for that insight. Where did you get the information of Stephen Hawking. I would really like to show that to a friend of mine who likes to read him and he is kinda on the fence know and I believe that there is a chance he may soon find a relationship with Jesus. Me and him have been having long talks about it.

As you can tell, I have a great interest into the science part of apologetics. I follow reasons.org and have took couple of their classes. I am inspired by how science is actually a great form of evidence that points to God. I know with my two little daughters growing up, I have already begun teaching my oldest some of the apologetics from RZIM and RTB at a very young age.

2 Likes
(Sara Isaac) #4

You can get a hold of his views in his two books, A brief history of time and The theory of everything. It’s good to know that you are taking on such a hard and vast area to invest yourself in. I checked out this website and it seems really interesting! What a wonderful thing it is that you are teaching your daugters that from a young age. They will grow up in such an increasingly aggressive secular culture with the conviction that their faith does make sense. They are lucky to have you as their father for sure.
I wonder how it is going with your friend. Is he/she started to gain some different perspective about Christianity? What is the current stumbling block to his/her belief during your discussions?

3 Likes
(Curran Harms) #5

Thank you so much!!! I have no idea what his stumbling block is. Its like he holds the same moral beliefs but says humans are born with morals and they dont come from God. But said he hopes im right in the fact that Christianity is true. So its weird. On one side is hopes im right and the other part of him tries intellectually defensive points against it

1 Like
(Curran Harms) #6

@saraisaac also if you subscribe to reasons to believe on youtube you will see tons of cool videos and they have a weekly talkshow that they make over every topic you can think of. Hugh Ross is a astrophysicist, Fuz Rana is a molecular biologist, Kenneth Samples is a theologian, and all of the other people in the organization come from some scientific background and all are believers and show how science is strong evidence for God. They publish articles every week on things that are current in science.

RZIM had Hugh Ross teach as part of the Science course for this. Frank Turek from the show Cross Examined has had Hugh Ross on there before. If you haven’t heard of Frank Turek, I suggest him too. He has a good program called cross examined. Here is link: http://crossexamined.org

1 Like
(Sara Isaac) #7

I guess one thing that could stir the conversation up if you ask him directly what’s preventing him from becoming a Christian. Alvin Plantinga is really helpful when it comes down to defeating Naturalism. I will pray for your friend and also for you that you might have the wisdom and the guidance by the Spirit.

1 Like
(Sara Isaac) #8

That’s really helpful! Thank you Curran for sharing those. I am sure those would be of great use for all of us.

1 Like
(Curran Harms) #9

God bless. I will look into Alvin Plantiga. How are his books? I hope hes not like William Lane Craig. Lol. He is a great author but honestly some of them get confusing to read.

2 Likes
(Anthony Costello ) #10

@Curran_Harms

Curran, if you’re having trouble with WLC’s books, I would stay away from Plantinga. Plantinga is about 3-4x more difficult to read than Craig, so he is definitely a philosopher you have to “work up to.”

You might try these book by Greg Ganssle, who is an outstanding philosopher, but is very pedagogical in his writing:

Greg also has a new book out on desire that I think is very relevant to the direction apologetics is going right now:

in Christ,
Anthony

1 Like
(Curran Harms) #11

thank you!!!

(Sara Isaac) #12

I agree with @anthony.costello. Or you could look up his videos on youtube. There are some vedios about 20 minutes or so where someone interviews him and it kind of makes it easier to follow.

(Curran Harms) #13

@saraisaac and @anthony.costello thank you. Im going to check out his YouTube channel today. Some of William Lane Craig books i can tolerate. Others i just got lost in but that could be to distractions with kids running around the house lol.

I could use some good Christian philosophy books. Any books in particular you guys would suggest to start with?

1 Like
(Anthony Costello ) #14

I’m of the opinion that anyone who has the desire can learn to read even high-level philosophy. It is just like anything else though, you have to work up to it. I can understand some of Plantinga, for example, but other parts of his work are beyond me (especially because I have yet to go through a formal logic class, and because I don’t have any training in Bayesian probability calculus).

That said, I would continue to recommend Greg Ganssle, and then, of course, Craig does have some easier reads. One can always start with On Guard and then work up to Reasonable Faith.

J.P. Moreland also has some good basic to mid-level books. You might try these, for example:

Or this one together with Gary DeWeese:

Hope that helps,
Anthony

2 Likes
(Curran Harms) #15

thank you, I read On Guard. I liked it. I have not dabbled into JP Moreland yet, but plan to. I read all of Ravi’s books, John Lennox’s books so I could use some more authors. What is your view point on reading atheist books to better understand their point to have sound arguments against them. My buddy and I were discussing this, and both were hesitant to read a book by like Sam Harris or such.

1 Like
(Anthony Costello ) #16

Good question. My method, roughly, has been this. Read two to three good, scholarly works by Christians on a particular area of apologetic concern (e.g. the reliability of the Gospels, the problem of evil, evolution vs. creation). Then read the best atheist book on that same topic.

I, in principle, only want to read the best of atheist or naturalist scholarship, since popular level stuff that is mainly rhetorical and that plays on the emotions is frustrating to read (or listen to). I’m sure atheists like Anthony Kenny or Peter Singer feel the same about popular level Christian sources, if those sources are also mainly rhetorical and emotional.

That said, here is an example. Let’s take the Problem of Evil as our topic of concern. The process might look like this:

1. Read John Feinberg’s “The Many Faces of Evil” and maybe N.T. Wright’s “Evil and the Justice of God” and perhaps even something more pastoral like this book by Kelly Kapic:
  1. Then read a highly regarded atheist book on the same topic, like this one:
  1. If you find that you need more on that topic, then repeat the whole process. This time, however, you might start with a multi-view book like this one here that presents a variety of Christian options for answering the problem of evil:
  1. and then you can read a compendium that includes both top Christian philosophers and top atheist philosophers on that same topic. Once you get here, you are basically in the position to take to heart the best objections coming from the other side, while also holding fast to your core convictions about the Christian faith.

Hope that helps,
Anthony

1 Like
(Curran Harms) #17

Definitely going to try few these books. I also want to a Steven Hawking book to get his perspective so I can better defend against it. I feel likes it’s important to know the other side to the spectrum to better equip my arguments.

2 Likes
(Anthony Costello ) #18

@Curran_Harms

Here are the other two books on evil that I mentioned:

in Christ,
Anthony