Doctrines

(Rob) #1

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to learn how many doctrines there and what they say in the true, unadulterated Christian faith? There seems to be confusion depending on which church or denomination one subscribes too. There also seems to be confusion to the number of essential and nonessential doctrines. I believe in the bible as the inerrant word of God and if posible, would like to understand my question from the standpoint of what the bible actually says and not what man’s many different interpretations are. I know this is a tough topic but can anyone recommend any accurate books or resourses to guide my study? Thank you for your help. God bless.

(Micah Bush) #2

Probably the most crucial doctrine of the Christian faith is the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins. We can be certain that this doctrine was taught very early on and was not a later development (as some have tried to claim), since it appears in the earliest New Testament writings. Aside from being described in all four Gospels, it is a key point of Galatians, which is widely considered by scholars to be among the first books of the New Testament. Written about twenty years after Christ’s death by Paul (the authorship has near-universal acceptance), the very first verse refers to Christ’s resurrection from the dead, and later verses (ex. Galatians 2:15-16, 20-21) stress the necessity of faith in Christ for the forgiveness of sins. Later, in I Corinthians 15:12-19 (written about five years later), Paul further establishes that Christ’s death and resurrection are central to the Christian faith, asserting that “If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied” (I Corinthians 15:19, ESV). That such a doctrine would emerge as central to the Christian movement so soon after Christ’s crucifixion (a death of untold humiliation and shame), much less be taught by a man who had persecuted the church, then given up everything to follow Jesus (Galatians 1:13-14) and suffered much as a result (Galatians 6:17, II Corinthians 11:24-28), is ludicrously unlikely unless the earliest Christians really believed and taught that Christ had been raised from the dead.

(SeanO) #3

@Ilovejesus Below are some resources on both doctrines and denominations I hope you will find helpful. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

Doctrines

Not all doctrine is equally important. Some beliefs are at the very center of our Christian faith and to deny them is to deny Christ. Other beliefs are important to how we practice our faith and are therefore the cause of disagreement between many denominations, but these beliefs do not place us outside of Christ. Still other doctrines, such as eschatology, are difficult even for very learned and godly people to understand clearly and are therefore a matter of opinion.

The below article offers a fuller explanation of levels of doctrine and gives a helpful summary list of 4 levels of doctrine.

1. absolutes define the core beliefs of the Christian faith;
  2. convictions , while not core beliefs, may have significant impact on the health and effectiveness of the church;
  3. opinions are less-clear issues that generally are not worth dividing over; and
  4. questions are currently unsettled issues.

Where an issue falls within these categories should be determined by weighing the cumulative force of at least seven considerations:

1. biblical clarity;
  2. relevance to the character of God;
  3. relevance to the essence of the gospel;
  4. biblical frequency and significance (how often in Scripture it is taught, and what weight Scripture places upon it);
  5. effect on other doctrines;
  6. consensus among Christians (past and present); and
  7. effect on personal and church life.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justin-taylor/how-do-you-evaluate-and-weigh-the-importance-of-various-doctrines/

Denominations

A denomination is formed when two groups cannot disagree enough that they feel they cannot worship together. That is all that a denomination is… There are two fundamental types of denominations - those based in false teaching and those who accept Jesus as Lord but disagree on secondary or tertiary issues.

Here are some threads that go into more depth.

(Rob) #4

Hello SeanO and Micah,

Thank you so much for your response. This is exactly what I’m looking for. I have found that the hardest part of leaving a false church/ system and finding the truth is that the ruler of this world puts many obstacles in the way to block out the truth. Distracting us with many denominations that can lead one astray. We must, as new believers, trust pastors who have faithfully preached and studied Gods word their whole lives to help feed us Gods truth. I hope each and every one of us has been blessed by finding a good church and pastor. I have only begun in the process of bible study and patiently await the Holy Spirit to illuminate Gods word in my new heart. I pray daily that what I learn is not in error, not my own false understanding but Gods word spoon fed to me by the Holy Spirit. I quote John MacArthur when he said, “the word of God has only 1 meaning but thousands of applications”. God bless you all and congratulations on building a wonderful resource that this site is.

(SeanO) #5

@Ilovejesus May Christ give you wisdom as you study the Word and lead you to a Church / pastor who rightly divides the Word of truth.